Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 2, 2010, 6:07 PM   #21

It's the AC adapter !!!

The AC adapter that needs replacement can be identified by the Roman number IV on the adapter.

La Crosse Technology has discovered that this new AC adapter has an increased voltage output;
therefore we are replacing the AC adapter free of charge.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Apr 2, 2010 at 6:09 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:51 PM   #22

I read all the postings about meltdowns on the Candlepowerforums, and I've not found any that were the result of a BC 700, BUT, I decided to order the BC 700 from Amazon.com for $29.99 with free shipping, and got an 8-pack of RayOVac hybrids and an 8-pack of Eneloops at the same time, mostly for comparison's sake (about the same price -- both close to $11 for 8) -- on March 27.

The Eneloops went through a storefront (MediaMart), whereas the rest of the order was direct through Amazon. I had my Eneloops in the mail March 30, but Amazon gave me a SHIP DATE of April 1 on the charger and RayOVacs, and NOW they've sent me a further email telling me there's been a delay and telling me it will be mid-April before I get my shipment, even though they CONTINUE to advertise the BC 700 on their site with next-day delivery if you purchase with overnight shipping.

This has me rather FUMING at this point. I've NEVER had an experience like this from Amazon before, and now I'm looking locally again, since I've not been able to find this charger close to that price anywhere else online -- at least not with free shipping (I hate paying shipping -- neither Newegg NOR TigerDirect carries LaCrosse -- I almost wonder if that should tell me something).

It looks like a GREAT charger -- especially for the money -- but I'm back to shopping elsewhere, at least until I get a shipment confirmation from Amazon.

In the meantime, my flash is definitely ready for new batteries... I've considered installing the pre-charged Eneloops while I'm awaiting a charger, but I have reservations about doing that. The current Duracells are still good for a flash, here and there, but it really needs new batteries.
Jeff
JeffAHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:16 AM   #23

Well, I went and "bit the bullet" on a short-term solution for a charger and some batteries for my flash, which might have one or two bursts left on the Duracells in it before I need to toss 'em...

Earlier today I was at the Wal-Mart on my side of town and looked in their electronics section to see what they had in the way of rechargeables and chargers, as they'll often have a bigger selection on some things like cables, accessories, etc., than even Best Buy. They did seem to have a bigger selection, but about half of it was sold out -- including several "KDK" brand items that were all "red-tagged" as close-outs. I pulled some tags and came home and went to their website while watching some of my Friday night shows and punched in the UPCs on them, only to get the same message on most -- that the stores often have items the online store doesn't... Sooo, after 11, I put those UPCs from the out-of-stock items in my pocket and decided to check out the other two Wal-Marts (if I had to go to both) in the county. Went to the one on the other side of town and it, too, didn't have anything decent to offer (although I got some pet supplies I'd forgotten at my earlier visit at my local store)... Then I went to the one farthest away, in the northern part of the county, and THEY had an Energizer "'Smart Charger" -- the ONLY Energizer OR Duracell OR any charger I've seen so far in a brick-and-mortar store that had more than a little LED light on it. It has a light on the left side that shows how many hours are remaining in your charge time (up to 8), and then on the right is a flashing blue bar that flashes further to the right the closer the batteries are to a full charge -- says it will trickle-charge once they're full -- came with 4 Energizer 2300 Mah batteries for $18.97 plus tax.

It plugs directly into the outlet, and is charging those Energizers right now, and although it's wide enough for all 4, the way it's shaped it doesn't cover the outlet next to it or above it, which is nice. I figure it'll make a nice back-up charger. It charges at 300 Mah per hour, which is a fairly safe, slow rate (I don't plan to do fast charging unless I'm in dire straights, because I want my batteries to last as long as possible). I'll probably pop those Energizers in the flash when they're done, and then when my La Crosse finally gets here, I'll check out the Eneloops and RayOVac hybrids, make sure they have a full charge, and put some of them in the flash and use the Energizers for something else, like my cordless mouse, maybe.

I also went back to Amazon to see if it's possible to place my order and put it on overnight, and it IS, so I clicked on Help (based on instructions in their email), and sent them an email about how I feel about them delaying MY order when they're still willing to ship out to people who're paying -- told them since it's been a week and they still haven't shipped I expect them to ship NOW and ship OVERNIGHT or else face my wrath, lol (I can paste it here if anyone needs the amusement).

At any rate, I figure that Energizer deal isn't bad for $20. Down the road I may get a bigger charger than the 700, as well -- something that'll also do C, D and maybe 9V, but I use far less of them, so it's not as much of an issue.
Jeff
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:10 PM   #24

Well, My Lacrosse BC 700 and my RayOVac Hybrids came today -- in separate shipments, at that, lol (RayOVac was UPS, La Crosse was via USPS). This was quite likely the result of my reply to Amazon's reply to the initial email I sent them April 3.

Their initial response, from a CSR with an obvious Indian name sent me a personalized response that was obviously based on their "boilerplate" responses, with the same bull in it, that my order was on "back order." BUT there was a "fatal error" in that response... There was a paragraph that said the charger "might" also be available via one of Amazon's Marketplace dealers, and I could look and see and possibly order it that way, so I did.

The result I got listed plenty of Marketplace dealers -- only one with the same price, but with almost a $10 shipping charge -- BUT Amazon.com was still listed at the VERY TOP -- claiming they had 9 in stock and that if I ordered with next-day shipping I could have it Monday (same thing I'd discovered earlier when I placed a sample order, but didn't complete it).

Well, the email had two URLs at the bottom of it -- one to cut and paste if it solved my problem, one if it didn't, but I didn't think that would get the results I was looking for, and since it came from an Amazon Customer Service email address, I replied directly, by doing a DIRECT cut and paste from the sales page on Amazon.com where it showed I COULD order one RIGHT THEN and have it Monday IF I were willing to PAY for shipping, yet they were claiming the order I'd placed a full week earlier was on BACK ORDER. I told them I felt that constituted fraud (I put that in all caps), told them I expected immediate, next-day shipment), and asked if I needed to forward the email to the Federal Trade Commission.

I also told them that I'd always had a fantastic experience with them in the past, but this was quickly souring my taste for them, and that I post in A LOT of online forums.

NO REPLY to my email, but less than 12 hours later I got an email that the La Crosse charger had shipped, although via regular shipping, and shortly thereafter that the RayOVacs were preparing for shipment... Getting them today, rather than April 13-16 (which is when the email they sent me when they told me it was back-ordered said I'd get them) is reasonably satisfactory, so I'm giving Amazon a bit of a pass -- especially since I think a lot of this had to do with La Cross' current issue with recalls on MANY power supplies, which might have had some affect even on the BC 700s, which as far as I can ascertain, weren't part of the problem.

I just checked my Eneloops, and they had a mostly full charge, but not quite, so I'm topping off the first 4 of 8, before moving on to the RayOVacs.

I rarely get this "threatening" with a dealer, but sometimes it pays off to throw a little threat of wrath at somebody, I think. Although that second email has never been acknowledged, I'm certain that's why my charger and second set of batteries shipped within 12 hours of me sending it.
Jeff
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:46 AM   #25

BC700 amazon $ 29.99 http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...1072858&sr=1-1

Last edited by DonalDuc; Apr 12, 2010 at 7:51 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:07 AM   #26

I just received Maha C9000 charger, paid ~80$ with car cord and shipping.
I think it's worth it, but only because I like to do a little research between AA cells.
Before this I used Sanyo MQH02 charger.

JeffAHayes, 300mA is not safer than 1000mA, it depends on the charger how safe it is.
Someone in the CPF said that BC700 and BC900 has the same problems because they are both designed the same way.

4xAA
4xAAA
8 C/D adapters
bag
BC900

43$, the charger must high quality...
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:46 PM   #27

egsise-

For a non technical bystander in this whole exchange, is your message to that we should forget the La Crosse BC-700 and the BC-900 chargers. I really would like some clarification. Thanks in advance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:11 PM   #28

Well not forget, just be aware that it might melt because sometimes it locks and keeps charging until the batteries overheat and the whole charger melts.
It is rare I admit.
Both BC700 and BC900(9) models are (internally)designed similarly, so I guess it might happen to both models.

I would not leave those chargers unattended.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:24 PM   #29

Awesome site. Thanks for the share.

~ Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I get my chargers form battery junction, I got one of their titanium smart charges, and it works great, for 15 dollars. Charges each battery by itself.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/smart-best.html

But allot of people like the lacrosse battery chargers. They are more expensive.

Last edited by SamTHorn; Apr 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM.
SamTHorn is offline   Reply With Quote