Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1

Default A good charger?

Hi everyone,
I am sort of new to all this and recently decided to invest in a small bundle of rechargeable batteries. The first time I bought 4 Duracell batteries, which came with a charger. These were 1800mah. After buying another 8 Duracell rechargeable batteries, I discovered they were 2650mah, and the charger that works for the 1800's doesn't work for the 2650's. Right now I'm just wanting to get a charger that can charge both types, and be worth the investment long term - without spending a whole ton of money, hopefully Any suggestions?
-J
pearjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:08 AM   #2

what every charger you get, get one that charges the batteries individually not in pairs. It will let you batteries last longer.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:53 PM   #3

any recommendations??
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:58 PM   #4

I get my chargers form battery junction, I got one of their titanium smart charges, and it works great, for 15 dollars. Charges each battery by itself.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/smart-best.html

But allot of people like the lacrosse battery chargers. They are more expensive.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:40 PM   #5

I fear that if I buy one of these chargers, it's not going to be able to charge both types of batteries I have... which are:
Duracell 1800mah and Duracell 2650mah. Do these all work for both types? The charger I have now only charges the 1800's, so that's why I'm a little worried... don't want to waste any more money!!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:49 PM   #6

The one I have recharge 800 AAA and 2950 AA, so it will have no issue with 1800. If you are really concern give them a call or email them. They will let you know. I asked about a different charger at first that was a bit more expensive but they recommend the cheaper one as it fits my need more. And now I run eneloop which is rated differently.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Having bought way too many chargers, I recommend spending a bit more and getting a really good one. I got the LaCrosse BC-9009 and am totally satisfied with it.

Fast chargers are not good for the batteries, but sometimes necessary. This one allows you to set the charging speed, from very slow to fast.

Whatever you do, you of course need a smart charger, and one that charges each battery separately is going to be better for the batteries. There are cheaper chargers that do this, and should work fine. A smart charger, which detects when the battery is fully charged, will work with nimh batteries of any mah rating.

It is possible that if you buy some cheap generic batteries, they might include a cheap charger with it that works on a timer. These were OK with NiCad batteries, which tolerated overcharging, but are not safe for nimh batteries, unless you run them down pretty fully before charging. So get a smart charger.

Note: I got a Maha charger with LCD display. It kept showing one of the four batteries as defective, and I finally got suspicious. That one channel was either reading the battery wrong, or charging wrong.

Last edited by Dapple; Jan 20, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:25 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I bought the Titanium V4000 after emailing them for more info.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:18 PM   #9

glad to help
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:06 AM   #10

FYI,

The Titanium V4000 is not an independent cell charger. It charges in pairs - read the description in the advertisement, “2 or 4 AA/AAA cell capacity - Charges in sets of two, for devices not needing 4 charged cells.” This charger has been around for a long time, marketed under various names and models. I bought 3 of them back in 2005, direct from the manufacturer, Hubgiant. I don’t recommend them.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote