Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 24, 2003, 4:51 AM   #1

Default What energy supply for the Minolta A1 to buy?

Energy consumption of the A1 is high - compared with others. So you need additional energy. But which one?
First you have to keep in mind that the life circle of Lithium-Ion batteries is about 2 years. If you use it or not!
The clearly cheapest version is to have an additional NP 400 for about $ 80.-. The clearly silliest version is to have an BP 400 Grip with two NP 400. It's about $ 300.-.
The best solution for me is to buy a BP 400 Grip, two sets of NiMh-batteries with high capacity (let's say 2000 mA and higher) and a charger. Alltogether for about $ 200.-.
So you have much more energy and you can replace a battery set for about $ 15.-. And with the grip you can use normal AA-batteries if there is no chance to charge.
It's not cheap, but that's life.
Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:41 AM   #2

Default Re: What energy supply for the Minolta A1 to buy?

Quote:
And with the grip you can use normal AA-batteries if there is no chance to charge.
You've got a good point there, Helmut. The BIG disadvantage of proprietary batteries is that when they're dead, they're dead. Point. And if you've got no spare with you, you're finished. And these are never the right moments.
Yes, NiMH AA's are the best choice, together with a fast loader. An extra set of alkalines for just the case, and you're ready to go!
Polar Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3

well i tell ya the A1 is considerably more efficient then its predessors. i get well over 250+ shots out of 1 battery. i own 2 batteries. and at this point i see no reason to go to the grip except for maybe the vertical shutter release feature. the drawback to the grip is it increases the overall size of the camera by about 33%. this is good for holding bad for the current pouch i have for it. ah! a life of pluses and minuses.

in the US the minolta NP400 i got was $45 not $80. it only lists out at $50 here. yes i have seen ads for $80 but realize there only trying to rip you off. the minolta charger is small and runs between 100-240vac with proper adapters i can charge in car or international w/o problems. average time 2.5 hrs.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=3729563

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=3729560

oh i forgot, i don't run the screen in the back all the time. its a a big waste of energy. i occasionally review with it though.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 5:38 PM   #4

I'd have thought when you have a high juice consuming camera, what matters most is what battery is going to accept frequent fast re-charges without melting and have a decent life for the cash. That would put me off proprietary packs.

Why are Minolta Dimage series so thirsty? Do they run a battery business as well? The display on my S414 takes 600 mA, which is more than the camera at 450mA. Is it old technology inside the box? are there any benefits over other makes? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 6:55 PM   #5

I don't know why the minolta is so powerconsuming; I have some information (all for the same test cycle):
Pentax *ist D: 100 %, Canon 300D: 130, Olympus E1: 184, Fuji S7000: 234, minolta a1: 312
Regards
Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:59 PM   #6

the A1 is considerably less thirsty then the previous models
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote