Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:57 PM   #1

Default Compatable battery Grip?

What do you think about 3rd party battery grips, 50 as opposed to 175. Anyone had any good or bad experience using these please? I always used the Canon BG -E2 with my 20D, and to be honest I really miss it, what's your thoughts please?
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i have heard the Zeikos and Flashpoints are pretty good. Is one of those what you are referring to?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:51 PM   #3

The Zieko was one of them, they look fine to me. I've had compatable batteries in the past and never had any trouble with them whatsoever, so I thought it might be 100 extra towards another lens. Of course it could turn out to be false economy, if they're not up to much, that's why I asked for some feedback.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:36 PM   #4

From what I have seen there is not real difference between the oem vs aftermarket in functionality. If I did not get a package deal for my battery grip for my 500D, I would have gotten the aftermarket. But since the difference with the additional batteries were 10 dollars. It was not a big expense to get the canon one. If it was say 50 dollars difference, I would have gotten the aftermarket.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:36 PM   #5

I've decided to get the Canon, I might have been lucky and got a very good aftermarket one, but I've also heard there's some bad ones about. I suppose it's a bit silly really, to spend megabucks on a camera body then try to save peanuts, by putting something potentially unreliable on it. In other words I've come to my senses.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:37 PM   #6
Super Moderator

definitely the safest bet.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:05 PM   #7

"I always used the Canon BG -E2 with my 20D, and to be honest I really miss it,..."

Just to add another comment. I debated about whether or not to get the battery grip for my Pentax K200D. Now, having purchased one, I can't believe what a difference it makes. I wasn't too concerned about the extra battery capability but in terms of how the camera feels in my hands it is far more comfortable and ergonomic. I can see why you missed yours.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:52 AM   #8

I use my 20D for my rugby league shots, which most are in portrait mode. I know it's obviously heavier with the grip on, but I find it better, especially when a tele lens is on, I only put 1 battery in it though.