Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Battery help

Hello all. I have a Maha MH-C204W charger that I use to charge my NiMH AAs. Granted, it's not the best charger in the world but it was the first charger I bought and Maha/Powerex has a good reputation. My problem is that the charger has started to refuse to charge some of my batteries. It won't even try to 'refresh' them. I put the batteries in the charger and the red light (which normally stays lit while charging) simply flashes on and off and never starts charging. I have Powerex 2700 which won't charge at all, Energizer 2500 that won't charge, Nuon 2500 which only 2 will charge and Duracell 2650 that still charge fine. I have four batteries of each brand and most of which are useless now. Considering that the same problem has occurred with 3 different brands, I'm thinking there's something wrong with my charger. Perhaps it's charging too fast and damaging the batteries? Is it possible I can 'fix' these batteries with a good charger? Thanks for any insight.

Jeff
J'sRamAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:49 PM   #2

Since you are still capable of charging some batteries, I'd say it probably isn't your charger. Many chargers interpret a battery which is nearly completely discharged as a battery fault, and refuse to attempt charging. Try mixing up your batteries in different pairs and see if you can initiate charging. If that works, give them a partial charge, then remove them and run a reconditioning cycle. If that doesn't work, try putting them in a different charger. Sometimes a different charger will work. If all else fails, consider the batteries defective and buy yourself some low self discharge batteries.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:47 PM   #3

I've tried charging different pairs to no avail. Sometimes I would get lucky, but now they won't charge at all. When I used to get lucky I would run a reconditioning cycle to see if that would help but it never did. The batteries shouldn't be defective considering most of them aren't even a year old. I would use each pair once or twice a month to take a hundred pictures or so, and to use them in my GPS.

I guess I can buy a cheap charger just to charge them for a few minutes to give them some juice and then try them in the Maha again.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:40 AM   #4

Perhaps the batteries are just too old?
Those high capacity batteries die faster than 2000mAh batteries.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:59 PM   #5

Less than a year is too old? Seems like that would make rechargeables rather pointless.

Actually, my batteries aren't anywhere near completely discharged. I took a pair that had about 50% power (according to my GPS) and placed them in the charger. They wouldn't charge. I fiddled around with other batteries until I found one that would allow a pair to charge (I got lucky this time). Less than 15 minutes later they were fully charged. My charger is not a quick charger. I'm still confused as to why my most of my batteries won't charge.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:52 PM   #6

It sounds as if there may be some connection problem with the charger. Look at the contacts on the charger and your batteries. Any corrosion, grease, or dirt could create a high enough resistance to prevent charging. If the problem is internal to the charger, unless you are experienced in electronic, repair, you may have to replace it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:12 PM   #7

I think I'm going to try out the La Crosse BC-700 and go from there. I'll reply back with the results. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:16 AM   #8

Buy Sanyo Eneloops, Sony Cycle Energy Blue, GSYuasa Enitime, RayOVac Hybrid, GP ReCyko etc rechargeable batteries.
They are only 2000mAh but the difference to higher capacity cells is huge.

You can also buy a new charger, but just in case buy the new batteries too.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:48 AM   #9

i have that problem too...the voltage is too low with the older battery's...i got two chargers one that is fast and one that is trickle.i put them on the tricke for awhile and bring the voltage up and then they will work on the fast charger...
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:10 AM   #10

Default lithium batteries for FinePix HS10

Hi,

I am new in this forum and a beginner+ in the photography. I learned a lot from the site and enjoyed beautiful pictures. I have a question regarding batteries in HS10. I am very reluctunt to use 4x AA batteries or Ni-MH bulky ones. There was also an option to use Lithium as well, but is it rechargeable and compact as any Lithium batteries or it has those AA batteries as well?

Thank you,
Jermina
Jermina is offline   Reply With Quote