Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 27, 2003, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Using 110 V charger at 220 V area

Hi everyone,
I will be traveling in South Asia region and I understand they use 220 V supply. I am curious to know if it would be worthwhile to just buy a charger over there or I should just get a voltage converter. I need to use a charger for AA battery. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
ßillcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2003, 12:33 PM   #2

Maybe a converter would be cheaper? Or in converting dollars to the local currency there you could get a charger for less money than a converter here in the USA. Anyway, don't try using chargers meant for 110v in a 220v environment. Likewise, if you have one that works in 100v, don't use it in 110v outlets. The output voltage may change and you could fry your device. Some chargers are supposed to be universal, working in voltages from 100-240v, just requiring an outlet adapter (for different plugs).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 3:57 PM   #3

Hi,
in my opinion a converter is much more expensiv than a new charger. if you search a little bit it should be possible to find a charger which works with 110 and 240 V AC and with 12 V DC. So you ready for all circumstances. In Germany it's about $ 35.-.
Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 4:06 PM   #4

the Maha charger 401FS is available as a international kit. it has a 100-240vac wall wart where all you have to do is supply the the applicable plug adapter per country.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 2:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have decided to purchase Maha charger 401FS.
Will be posting pictures from my trip soon.
ßillcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:33 PM   #6

The only thing about that Maha is it's awfully big (and fairly expensive) with a fairly big battery holder and separate wart. Anyone know of anything more compact in an international charger? One piece would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
the Maha charger 401FS is available as a international kit. it has a 100-240vac wall wart where all you have to do is supply the the applicable plug adapter per country.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
slindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 7:13 PM   #7

the intl wall wart is a switching power supply about 1.5"lx1.25"wx.75"h and quite small. you have to but the batteries someware along with the support electronics. its still small by at least my standards and i've carried mine all over the world. didn't break my back or take up real room in my bag. did charge my batteries real well though.

you get what you pay for with some things.

one piece no i disagree. this allows me to plug into just about anywhere in a hotel room, hostel or other accomadation. one piece units if something fails you throw the whole thing away. with this i replace components if they fail. the kit also came with the car charger adapter. a single piece unit lacks adaptability.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:49 PM   #8

I found what looks like a good alternative, the Kodak K-6000. It's a one piece - it's got a short cord but the powersupply built in. Smart charger, with 100 to 240V/50 or 60cy input, holds 4 AAs 0r AAAs, and a little cheaper than the Maha 401. Thomas says its a real good charger, and since they are the high priests of Maha that goes for something.

Nice thing is its about 6.5 oz compared to 12 for the Maha. Good for anyone who needs an international charger and is really trying to travel light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
the intl wall wart is a switching power supply about 1.5"lx1.25"wx.75"h and quite small. you have to but the batteries someware along with the support electronics. its still small by at least my standards and i've carried mine all over the world. didn't break my back or take up real room in my bag. did charge my batteries real well though.
slindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 5:36 PM   #9

no there like any other distributer. you want this i'll sell you this. you want that i'll sell you that. either way they make the money. you make the choice.

also does it allow you to swap cables and plug into a car and charge while your diving around?