Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:09 AM   #1

Default Fraudulently labeled NiMH AA 'purple' batteries on eBay

Just wanted to give a heads up on a batch of batteries purchased from a Hong Kong dealer on eBay. They were purple and labeled 2800mAh.

First indication I had something was wrong was they felt very light in weight. I put them on a digital scale, and found they weighed 19 grams. 2000mAh AA's usually weigh 28 grams and up.

Charged up a set and put them in my GPS. Less than 2 hours later they were kaput. Put them through a few more cycles to break them in, and same result. My PN-40 usually goes 8-10 hours on a pair of NIMH batteries (my old ones are 2200-2600 mAh name brand cells).

Put them on my MAHA C777PLUS-II charger/analyzer. In repeated tests of several different sets of the batteries, all sets showed a capacity less than 700 mAh. This was using the standard MAHA charge cycle ('fast charge', I guess), and a discharge rate of about 350 mA/hour. Using the same test cycle, my old Tenergy and Nexcell AA batteries show capacities over 2000mAh.

These batteries weigh about the same as a NiMH AAA battery, and have about the came capacity, so the manufacturer has apparently cut corners and put an AA casing around an AAA battery, and fraudulently labeled them 2800mAh capacity. A new low in Chinese junk cells.

I've bought generic cells before off eBay, and while they often didn't come up to claimed capacity, they usually came close, and were useable and cheap. It looks like that no longer is a viable option - the manufacturers/dealers will just plain outright lie and sell intentionally mis-labeled cells that are not even true AA batteries.

Some photos of the bogus cells:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

spiked

Last edited by spiked; Mar 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
spiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:31 AM   #2

Also came across this site where a Ham radio guy has encountered the same bogus batteries (and some others, too):

http://www.radcomms.net/gallery/thum...album=9&page=2

His testing shows the same low mAh results, and light weight.

spiked
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:13 AM   #3

Batteries, and memory cards, last long enough to warrant buying from a brick and mortar or reputable on line store, many of which are brick and mortar. E Bay used to be a fun place to buy and sell, until the inevitable criminals showed up. I would not buy anything off EBay, and if it were up to me they would cease to exist. I feel tha EBay doesn't do enough to shut the scammers down. As long as people will try to save a few measly bucks, they will continue to get ripped off.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:00 AM   #4

In digging in to this a bit more, it's apparent it's not just eBay where these bogus batteries can be found. There are numerous 'major' online retailers peddling this junk, and also many selling counterfeit branded NiMH batteries. It's becoming harder and harder to tell if you're getting what you're paying for. Most people don't have sophisticated charger/analyzers which would allow them to detect when they've been ripped off.

Only solution is to find a quality purveyor of quality batteries, and buy only from them.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:43 PM   #5

What kind of feedback rating did the seller have on Ebay? Never had a problem yet (knock on wood). I only buy items from top quality sellers.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:23 AM   #6

Seller was ebatteryoutlet, 99.7% feedback, "Top-Rated Seller". The ratings for these sellers are apparently meaningless, as the general populace is too clueless to know they're receiving useless batteries. The number of glowing feedbacks is amazing (interspersed with a few negs from people who've actually tested them, and found they underperform woefully, as I did).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked View Post
These batteries weigh about the same as a NiMH AAA battery, and have about the came capacity, so the manufacturer has apparently cut corners and put an AA casing around an AAA battery, and fraudulently labeled them 2800mAh capacity.
I cut one of these open, and it is not a recased AAA (they are full of a black paste). Whether or not they're actually NiMH, the chemistry inside is obviously lightweight and low grade, and incapable of providing anything like the labeled capacity.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:36 PM   #8

If you use ebay, do yourself a favor and cut/paste the seller's name into Toolhaus' website, no matter what the seller's rating is. Ebay has changed the way ratings are computed more than once and they finally recently changed back to showing how many negatives sellers have. Sellers with 99.7% positives don't mean diddly if the seller has made 1000's of sales.

ebaynegs on ebatteryoutlet

Unfortunately, the ebaynegs plug-in for Firefox doesn't work for FF versions 3.6.x and above (can't remember exact version), so you have to use Toolhaus' website... unless of course you're using a lower version of FF, then you should be able to find the plug-in compatible with your version.
nahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked View Post
Just wanted to give a heads up on a batch of batteries purchased from a Hong Kong dealer on eBay. They were purple and labeled 2800mAh......
First and most important of all, what did the seller reply when you emailed him about those defective cells?
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 1:30 PM   #10

Default Batteries and care

Today 6:09 PM
Gene9

Oh yes. I got some bad batteries that were green. They were light weight. I complained and she said she would give me my money back if I gave a good rating! The nerve. I blasted her to e-bay and she was gone. Be sure to get those people off e-bay. But, I have a good use for those batteries. In building chargers and conditioners I only have to wait 15 minutes instead of two hous for them to charge or discharge.

Some cells now have oversize center posts. You have to modify some equipment to use them, including the Shack battery holders.

Battery chargers may overheat batteries, to 140 deg. and above to melt the covers off. Oh wow, the technology, not... The manufacturers were to quick to say "no memory" for NiMH cells. There IS. You must condition them every two months by discharging them to 1 volt.

Have been working on a battery charger that will charge EACH cell and cut off at about 110 Deg. F. Also a battery conditioner. Will try to post circuits. Gene

Last edited by Gene9; May 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Inproved form
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote