Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1

Default battery for panasonic DMC ZS1

Just curious about whether or not I can use a third party battery for my camera. In passing I've seen issues like batteries blowing up inside the camera so I didn't know if that was one particular brand or is that is an issue with all of them.
schar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2

I use aftermarket batteries, and have not had an issue. But I generally take them out after shoot, for the just incase thing. But I do find that you have longer lasting batteries then the OEM ones sometimes.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:42 PM   #3

@shoturtle: do you have a Panasonic camera? If so, is this issue something just with the Panasonic brand cameras or is this with any camera? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4

My friend has a panny, there some aftermarket batteries just have a higher capacity. It is actually normal with most other companies also. My aftermarket for my olympus is 40 higher in capacity then the olympus one. 1900 vs 1150 mah.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:23 AM   #5

So the posts I've read about Panasonic making their cameras so that they cannot use a third party battery are incorrect? It also had to do with the version of firmware they had on the camera, I think. I have 3 of these, one for me and two for other members of the family. I think it's always a good idea to have a back up battery but I was afraid to buy them if it's true that most of them won't work in the camera or if they will cause issues later like exploding inside the camera or charger. Is there any way to know if the third party battery is reliable or not?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:09 AM   #6

The original Lumix battery for my ZS3 was so short (about 100 picks) that i bought two spare Chinese batteries. I've had one only problem, easily workable: cold weather. I then warm the battery in my hand and that' it.
Here you can find the original 1.1 firmware to download (at your own risk, as Jim says) that will able you to use spare batteries

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ion-1-1-a.html
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7

That's my concern...you said "at your own risk". What actually is at risk by using the firmware 1.1? I really don't understand all of this so please be patient with my questions.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:20 PM   #8

I bought the camera in May 2009 with firmware 1.1, so i can't help you.
Better follow this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32602197
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote