Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 8, 2002, 12:17 PM   #1

Default 5 CELL BATTERY HOLDERS

I am planning on building a battery pack an want to use either C or D NIMH batteries. I thought about making them into a battery (non removable) pack but it is difficult to find a charger to recharge the pack. I now plan to use a regular fast charger to charge the C or D cells and then place them in the battery holder. I will add a diode and a battery level checker. If anyone knows were to find the 5 cell battery holders let me know.

P.S. let me know what you think about the concept. i.e. using removable batteries.

Thanks

Dave

[Edited on 8-8-2002 by msgtb]
msgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2002, 2:45 PM   #2

I'm looking at the same thing myself. My conclusion was that all the C and D cells are far less cost effective than AAs. Double up on AAs and you'll have more power with less cost, bulk and weight. No help on a five cell pack though, might have to jury rig a six cell pack
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 4:55 PM   #3
NHL

padeye & msgtb

Check this Maha C777 out, it'll charge anything depending on theses optional holders, but no odd pairing though...

Sorry!

[Edited on 8-8-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:03 PM   #4

so much for versatility. you know how i feel. and you all know what i have. yeah it costs $259 and has all those regulatrs and stuff. "innefficient" as it is said to be it works good for me. 5 different components of my photo system of varying voltages. work sgood last long time.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 1:34 PM   #5

Try model car shops. They sell chargers for soldered together stick or saddle packs. 12volt or mains.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:42 PM   #6

Re: increasing capacity using multiple AA bats to save money: NEVER connect lower capacity bats in parallel to save money.

They will age at different rates, the terminal voltages will equalise and power will be lost to the lower charged cell. PS you could buy a 6 cell holder and fit a dummy(short circuit link).

If its high portable power with low internal resistance (fast flash recharges) then splash out on C or D's, but keep in series.

[Edited on 10-1-2002 by voxmagna]
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 7:07 PM   #7

Default Battery Packs

I've been using my home made packs for over 2 years now and have had great results with them, "C" 5 cell and 6 cell packs I use a RC charger made by Radio Shack # 23-424 AC/DC Model. If you want details on making these you can email me from http://www.jtgraphics.net/all_digital.htm I will send photos and details.

JTGraphics
http://www.jtgraphics.net
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote