Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:32 PM   #1

Default NiZn rechargeable battery

I bought a set of 4 AA NiZn rechargeable batteries from the Frys store for $12. They are rated 1.6v at 2700mAw. Does anyone use this type of batteries before?

The reason I bought these batteries is for Sony DSC-H2 camera which uses 2 AA cells for power. I can never utilize this camera fully because it drains the batteries rapidly. No matter what brand of batteries I put in, they don't last very long. Anyway, these NiZn seems to work pretty well after testing it making a bunch of shot indoor using the flash. I will give it a real life field test when I go the high school reunion next week.

These batteries are make by ********** and they recommend using their own brand of charger for recharging. I have two 1-hour rapid chargers which refuse to work with these batteries. But my old 5-hour Panasonic NiMH charger does with with these batteries.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2

I have used NI-zn batteries. Yes, they have a somewhat high voltage, but they will not change the battery world. They do not require a special charger, and they did not change me from my usual Eneloop batteries.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3

These batteries work a lot better than the 2500mAh batteries which comes with the camera and others. The higher voltage 1.6v in this case helps the Sony H2 I am using. I read a few older postings in the Sony section complaining about the rapid drainage of battery in the H2 and H5. I have a Sony charger and a generic charger that refuse to works with these batteries yet they charge other brands with no problem. I really have no idea. Good things is that the Panasonic charger works.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:54 AM   #4

Normal NiMH charger does not charge the NiZn cells higher than 1,5 volts, that is why you need to use the recommended charger.
See http://www.**********.com/charging.php

Also the capacity is 2700mWh, not 2700mAh.

2700mWh / 1,6V = 1687,5mAh

I think you really should try Sanyo Eneloops which keep their voltage better than other NiMH rechargeables.

edit: quote from **********
Quote:
Nickel-Zinc Charge Procedure

Two Step Charge

1. Constant Current: From 1.0 to 2.0 Amps to 1.9V/Cell
  2. Constant Voltage: 1.9V/Cell to Current < 90mA
Fault Conditions

• Total charge time exceeds 2.5 hrs
  • Temperature of the cell rises by more than 15C
  • Voltage is less than 1.6V
Notes: For Laboratory Testing: Non temperature compensation at 25C +/_ 3 degrees
Temperature Compensated Charge Procedure

Two Step Charge

• Temperature Compensated Voltage (TCV) = 1.90 - (0.003 x (T-25C) V/Cell
  • Constant Current 2A to TCV
  • Constant Voltage TCV to I < 90 mA
Fault Conditions

Stop Charge if the any of the following conditions occur:
  • Total charge time exceeds 2.5 hrs
  • Temperature of the cell rises by more than 15C
  • Temperature of the cell exceeds 40C
  • Voltage is less than 1.6V
Charge Characteristics at 25C

[IMG]http://www.**********.com/picts/charge_char_graph.gif[/IMG] Maintenance Charge Procedure

Recharge cell/pack per Standard Charge Procedure if:

• Volts per cell < 1.68 V
  • Time since last full charge > 30 days

Last edited by Egsise; Aug 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM. Reason: ***********
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:31 AM   #5

These NiZn batteries charged up to 1.75v. I measure the voltage with a DVM. So far the charge is holding. I must have snapped 60 pictures (20 of them flash) and the battery indicator on the H2 still shows full charge. The Sony and Panasonic batteries would have been drained. Anyway, my Panasonic charger works fine in charging these batteries and the cells don't get too hot. These cells work great with the H2. I have been looking for good batteries for this camera for a long time and now I have found them. I have been using Panasonic batteries on H2 and they don't seem to last long, but they work great in my old Panasonic P&S camera. In fact they hold the charge for a long tome. This is definitely a problem with the Sony DSC-H2/H5. I am no the only one who have this problem. Hopefully, my problem is now solved. If not, I will try the Sanyo Eneloops next. Thanks for the charging info!