Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:34 AM   #1

Default Nikon 3100 battery problem solved?

Got 3 different types of rechargeable batteries. With my type of usage or rather wastage (framing, playing around with LCD etc), each gives different level of performance. All charged using Nikon original charger.

1. Sanyo 2100mAh NiMh. Hopeless. Maybe 30-pics.
2. Nikon original battery 2100mAh. Much better. Maybe 70-pics.
3. Energizer 2100mAh. Fantastic. Taken over 100-pics so far and still counting. Flash re-charging and saving to CF seems faster also.

With the Energizer, for the 1st time, I don't have complaint of battery running flat.

Hope that helps.
tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 1:12 AM   #2

No, further investigation indicates it's not the batteries's fault but the charger. Both myself and friend has the 3100 but his Nikon charges MH70 is Made in Malaysia and mine Made in China. The "excllent engergizer batteries" was charged in the Malaysian charger and it took 130-pics. When I have the "lousy Sanyo" batteries charged in the same Malaysian charger, it also took about 130-pics! I exchanged my China charger to a Malaysian charger and get similar better result. Bottom line, it's the chargers' fault.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:47 PM   #3

Hello,
it was the same for me. I don't know if the charger was from China
but the shop where I boght the camera replaced it with a very simple one (and cheap),
and now my sanyo 2100 work very well, a bit worst the nikon 2000.
The camera is form China, probably also the charger was.
ciao
map22ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4

Not necessarily becauase my 3100 Made in Indonesia and MH70 charger Made in China. My friend's 3100 Made in China but MH70 charger Made in Malayisa. Go figure.....

Anyway, now the Sanyo 2100 works noticeably better then the Nikon battery charged in the old China MH70. Either way, it's the charger problem.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:51 PM   #5

Oh, one more thing. Even with the supposedly faulty Made in China MH70 Nikon charger, that charger seems to charge the original Nikon rechargeable batteries pretty well. But that charger totally fail to charge the Energizer 2100 and Sanyo 2100 properly. That's why it took me so long to nail the problem. On the other hand, you could also say the China MH70 is specially designed for their Nikon batteries so on that count, Nikon is correct on insisting on their batteries.