Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:12 PM   #1

Default NiZn AA's for power-hungry digicams!

I bought Canon's SX130 for Christmas and as the reviews say, it "eats" alkakines for lunch! My first pair lasted for 5 photos and one short movie and then the "replace battery" warning came on. My second set of alkalines lasted a bit longer, but not much. I tried some old NiMh AA's and charged them up, only to find that they wouldn't power the camera properly. So, after some research, I tried the NiZn AA's from PowerGenix, which hold a 1.6 volt charge, rather than the 1.2 volt charge that NiMh's hold. What a great battery! It's been in my camera almost 2 weeks now and no sign of weakening. I've read several reviews from other digicam owners and they all agree that this set of batteries functions the best. And they were a steal (around $10) for the charger and 4 AA's at amazon. I'm just amazed at the difference and performance, I've been shooting a lot of HD movies and transferring files from the camera to my PC, batteries are 'good-to-go!'
PowerGenix ZR-PGX5HRAA-4B, 3-5-Hour Fast Charger with 4 AA 1.6v High Voltage Rechargeable Batteries (Green)
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:03 PM   #2

Have same problem with the Sony H5 as does the Kodak Z981...the kodak doesn't eat them up, just doesn't last as long as I am used to with the Lithium...a couple of idle days and they are half down. I always keep regular batteries as backup.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:47 PM   #3

So far I also like the NiZn batteries I got. I use them for everything, but the biggest problem is a side cut can opener. Standard NiM work very poorly. Eneloops work fairly well and last a while, but the NiZn run it much faster and last. It seems that they have the guts and low resistance to handle high drain. Inexpensive also. Gene
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4

Gene-

The NiZn batteries actually output 1.6 volts per battery when fully charged, giving them an advantage over NiMh batteries, such as Eneloops, which have a 1.2 volt output per battery when fully charged.

I also have a Canon SX130 and my experience is that the Eneloops and the NiZn batteries last very close to the same time. The Eneloops also self discharge at a slower rate than the NiZn batteries.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:48 AM   #5

I bought a set of4 batteries last year for my Sony DSC-H2 which drains batteries like crazy. These NiZn batteries work really well last a long time between charging. I bought 2 more sets with Genix charger for $8 each. What a steal!

Last edited by WCKSer; Apr 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: missing word
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:07 AM   #6

Iíve been wondering about the price drops Iíve noticed on NiZn cells. I wonder if theyíre being blown out and discontinued.

I love my NiZn cells (I use them in my Nikon SB-600 flash) but maintenance has been a real problem. Out of 12 cells, Iíve already had 4 go bad on me. PowerGenix sent me replacements...theyíre good about that. But I found that the cells were easy to reverse when one cell is discharged while thereís still some charge in the other three.

The problem is that current devices canít properly indicate when the cells are discharged...the voltage is still too high. The NiZn datasheets actually give 1.65v as the nominal voltage of the cell. Times 4, thatís 6.6 volts as opposed to 4.8 volts with NiMH cells. So you can have one cell with zero volts and the device will still not give a low batt. indication.

Iíve taken to checking my NiZn cells with a volt meter and sometimes I have to short a cell in parallel with two or three good cells to get the voltage back up to charge. Otherwise the charger complains and doesnít charge. For all this trouble I get noticeably faster recharge time, and better performance in the cold from my flash. Iím a performance oriented guy so Iíll put up with them for now...at least until they all go bad.

I donít know what kind of future NiZn cells have. I think itís pretty clear that the future belongs to Li-ion and eventually Li-Po cells. These are the dominant rechargeable batteries, and fewer and fewer cameras are made to accept AA cells. Unfortunately I donít really see the emergence of a standard Li-ion cell that will be adopted by the camera makers (there are already several to choose from) because they make too much money selling a second and third proprietary battery pack...so why give you options?
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:59 AM   #7

All I use personally, and at work, are the PowerGenix NiZn batteries. They're the best option out there in my opinion (for my needs at least).
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:17 PM   #8

Billy any idea how they compare to AA eneloops as far as shots per charge etc. I have been using only eneloops for the past year and find with the Fuji HS10, HS20 I can get well over 600 shots on a single charge. In fact eneloops have allowed me to go from carrying 5 sets of spares nickle metal Hydride type to 2 sets of spares in the camera bag (3 when I travel for a full week). Sarah on this board turned me onto them and for my needs they seem to last forever........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Billy any idea how they compare to AA eneloops as far as shots per charge etc. I have been using only eneloops for the past year and find with the Fuji HS10, HS20 I can get well over 600 shots on a single charge. In fact eneloops have allowed me to go from carrying 5 sets of spares nickle metal Hydride type to 2 sets of spares in the camera bag (3 when I travel for a full week). Sarah on this board turned me onto them and for my needs they seem to last forever........

dave
Dave,

Sorry for the late reply. I had used eneloops quite some time ago, but I've never done any side by side testing with them. I will say that the NiZn cells I have now allowed me to do pretty much the same thing you mentioned; carry less spare cells with me on outings. I used a set in my 580EX II for an entire wedding, and only swapped them out at the reception to be "safe". I had over 500-600 shots on the one set I believe.

Both are excellent options really, and I think you'd be happy with either. I personally wouldn't go out and replace all my eneloops with NiZn cells, or vise versa. However, if you have your standard NiMH cells, and upgrade to either choice would be wise.

It's hard to compare the eneloops to the NiZns really. The NiZns are designed for higher voltage output, while the eneloops are designed for longer life. So, it would more than likely be an apples to oranges type of comparison.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:50 PM   #10

Billy thanks for the reply. Actually over the last 14 months as my regular rechargeable stopped charging or gave me much reduced shooting times (from slowlt going bad) I have replaced all my sets with eneloops. I find that even though the eneloops are rated at 2000mha I get more power than a nickle metal hydridge battery rated at 2700mha

Thanks again for the excellent reply

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote