Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:15 PM   #1

Default quick hybrid battery question

hey all, I am wondering if I should charge my hybrid batteries (eneloop, etc) before use? I know they come with a charge, and can be used right out of the box, but I was wondering if it is a good idea to charge them up anyway?

I have heard that they take a few cycles to get up to full capacity, so should I throw them in my charger (powerex c808m) and run them through a re-condition cycle or two? Right when I get them? Thanks,

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:27 PM   #2

i took my eneloops right out of the package and used them in my flash so im not sure
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:34 PM   #3

nope, run them down before you charge them. They are ready to go out the box.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:04 PM   #4

ok, thanks.

Tim
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:38 AM   #5

To get the best results I find I use them out of the package till they die and then charge them. After they have been used and charged 3 times I find they are at their are up to their optimal peak use. I am not sure how long they will keep recharging as I have had 2 sets for over a year charging at least once every 2 weeks and they still last forever or for a lot of photos if your like me and are a high volume shooter.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
To get the best results I find I use them out of the package till they die and then charge them. After they have been used and charged 3 times I find they are at their are up to their optimal peak use. I am not sure how long they will keep recharging as I have had 2 sets for over a year charging at least once every 2 weeks and they still last forever or for a lot of photos if your like me and are a high volume shooter.

dave
Well, if you charge them about every two weeks, that's about 25 times a year. I think most are rated about 1000 cycles, so technically they should last you about 40 years. I have some eneloops that are a few years old, haven't had much luck with duracells, kodak, or the other hybrids. I have something here that eats them though. I have no less than 50 aa and probably 25 aaa's and I still can never seem to find any when I need them.

Brew