Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:22 PM   #1

Default SOS..Is my battery gone??

Hi folks I'm new to this forum,just an amateur have a rebel xt which is 3 years old would've taken maybe 1000 pictures and charged less than 100 times max.

Long story short my camera died out on me yesterday.since then have tried removing and reinserting CF card,ditto with the main battery and have put a new 3V back up cell as well and still nothing happening.

One curious thing I've noticed is that the self timer button alone is still working - like I can select self timer or single or multiple shot mode but nothing else is happening.

Can the main battery go out suddenly and completely like this?

The only other thing I did before it stopped working was I took out the CF card and reinserted it.

All suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
dbc005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:20 AM   #2

Ideally, borrow another freshly charged main battery and see if that fixes it. You might also clean the lens contacts on lens and body lightly with a pencil eraser. Also, try using a new (different) CF card ... they do go bad on occasion, albeit rarely.

Still not working? Next, I would go to your menu button, go to "clear settings" and clear all camera settings. In short, you want to reset the entire camera to factory default conditions. Bollexed up custom settings can lock up a camera.

If that does not help, or if you can't get to the menus, try leaving BOTH the coin cell and the main battery out of the camera for a while ... 15-20 minutes should do, but longer won't hurt. Reinsert the batteries and see if that fixes it.

If not, its a trip to the repair center.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:41 AM   #3

Thanks hgernhardtjr...am on the look out for a replacement battery to try it....have done all the other things u suggested already.The menu button doesn't function and only the self timer button is working which is really wierd!!!
dbc005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:46 AM   #4

Try leaving both batteries out overnight and then trying. However, I feel it is a trip to the repair shop for your camera ... which can be expensive.

One excellent possibility for you, though, is the Canon Loyalty Program (call 1-866-443-8002 and I think it's option 2 on the list). You can save a BUNDLE on a new(er) camera!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote