Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:42 AM   #21

I fully understand. I just did some shooting today that made me wish for that battery. I could only use the flash 1 shot in three, and it showed. Some don't have catch light, and don't have the fill flash to raise them to that next level.

I hope you get it soon. Did you get the cable to power the camera as well? At least you can use it for that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 6:29 PM   #22

Not for the Camera, I have 6 Nikon EN-EL3 Batterys. plenty of power there. Just the flash. I better have it by this weekend I have a big job Well over 1000 flashes on both days.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:40 PM   #23

Eric , It will be here Monday will let you no how it works.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:14 PM   #24

Thanks, I look forward to hearing how it works.

I was shooting a cedar waxwing this past weekend using my flash. It was frustrating that I could only use the flash in the first pic of a three pic burst. Very annoying. I am really starting to think I need a battery pack for my flash, but I'd rather spend the money in other ways.

Eric
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:42 PM   #25

Eric It has arrived, So this afternoon I ran it through its paces, Using the battery only on the Flash, I got well over 1000 flashes and still in the GREEN and this is using differen't settings on the Flash, Using it on Auto, the refresh time was instantanious, as fast as I could look up at the ready light. In auto, shot 10 rappid pictures and flash did not even get warm. In Manual setting flash set to its full potential of power ,about 2.5 seconds refresh time Constantly at well over 200 shots and shooting as fast as the ready light came on, flash did not get warm, I think this combination is going to be the answer for Flash power. The only thing that I am concerned with is the short cord in between the Battery hook up and the Black inline Box that has the info on it. (refer to picture) this had better be a tough cord, because when you hang it the box hangs also and the cord is at a 90 degree angle. Any way I called the people that make It and they said they have had no problems with it. Ok so it still bugged me, and I put some velcro on the back and will put velcro on My Tripod, Flash bracket, My Attack gear( a modified rig I have to hold camera equiptment) and such. Eric , Thank you very much for pointing this company out to me I am positive it is the best set up. It also came with 4 NIMH batterys to run the screen on the flash you still need power there but now those will last forever.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:39 PM   #26

I'm glad you like it. It is one of those items that I really want but can't justify getting. There are other things I want to get first, like extention tubes, a macro lens, or a better beamer.

But deep down in side, along with that 600mm f4 IS, I also want that battery system.

If you don't mind me asking, I have three questions:

1) What was the final cost, all told? I know that the flash-as-fast-as-possible cable is expensive, so I wondered.

2) How heavy is it?

3) If you hold down the shutter on the D100 does it fire the flash for every picture? You say it recharges as fast as you can look up... to me, the real test is if it can flash for every shot in a 3-4 picture burst. My 10D is 3 frames a second... I think that is about what you D100 can do (Steve's review says approx. 3 FPS.) I wouldn't expect it to keep up with you D2H (but if it did, WOW!)

Eric
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:56 PM   #27

Eric, The Battrey was $262 the cable $173, I also bought a lens, so with all $16 shipping. Everything from B&H And I checked every one that carried these products B&H beat them all. Here are the times. shot on The d-100 5 shot burst. 17:11:59.8 1st exposure good. 17:12:00.0 2nd ex. good,17:12:00.8 3rd ex. Good,17:12:01.1 4th ex. good, 17:12:01.8 5th ex. Good This was taken in DTTL Auto mode on Flash. Now Manual Full Power, 17:13:44.0 Ex. 1 Good, 17:13:44.8 2nd ex. no Good. 17:13:45.0 3rd ex. no good, 17:13:45.8 4th ex. Good. So I think if you are going to shoot full power it will not refresh fast enough for burst . But in Auto I got five no problem. Just a note when I shot the manual mode the shots were totaly blown out for the experiment, the SB-80 is a very strong flash at full Power so I haven't had to use it alot, If I need that much light i'm shooting strobes also. It is heavy but is easy to support, both cable and Battery can be supported with good velcro. So far I am very happy with it. I'm like you need some other things also but I just had to have more power for the flash I was missing to many shots. I never reaLLY Shot burst before because the Flash could not keep up, now I may give it a go. Get the Better Beemer it is a great tool and value, It works great when I use the 600mm, and for certain Mood shots. If you need anything else just ask!! Good Luck
Old Feb 29, 2004, 2:04 PM   #28

Thanks for the info. That battery/cable it a bit more expensive than its competition, but it lasts so much longer it might be worth it (the jackrabit is in the $300 range I think.)

Those numbers are good. I don't expect I'd want to use it at full power, so DTTL should be similar to the ETTL that Canon uses that it looks like it would do what I wanted.

Quote:
If you need anything else just ask!!
I could use that 600mm. Oh, and the battery, cable and better beamer.

I don't remember if membership is required, but you might find this post interesting.
http://forums.naturephotographers.ne...841&m=47010544

Or this picture:
http://www.pbase.com/image/26281936

Eric
Old Feb 29, 2004, 6:35 PM   #29

Eric LoL Sorry no way!!! I don't even let my wife touch the 600 and I store it in a safe!! That is where I ordered the BB from good transaction with them. When shooting last night , Indoor horse show the BB worked well but, you can see the pattern ,below 100mm I am in the of process of making a bigger fresnel glass plate to see if i can enlarge the target so It does not have to sit so precise on the flash (it is kind touchy) I need to find a real thin one for the weight, But the Battery is dream come true I am contimplating ordering more for my strobes. The people said they can make any cable on a custom basis for diffrent lights just have to let them know what kind they are. I have 1 set of JTL and that battery is worhtless and my Dyna lites are run by jackrabbits and need to be sent in and re-built(won't hold charge) anymore. So i'm sold on the Digital Camera Battery Co. Again I can't thank you enough for pointing them out to me. Maybe you should call them for your comission :lol:
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:24 PM   #30

Had to try.

Have you seen this article?
http://www.naturephotographers.net/tdg0502-1.html

It's a good one too.

I would have though that a horse would have been too big for a better beamer... I guess I was (almost) right. If you succeed in making a more defuse one, I'd be very interested in how. The cost difference between the parts and the entire thing makes me think I could make one for much less. I don't need a more defuse one, but how you build the holder and if there are any tricks to cutting the lens is something I want to know about.

I'm glad you like it. Once I read about that battery pack, I knew it was something to remember. It just sounded great.

I'm going on a photo outing in a few months. Before then, I'm thinking I need:
a better beamer
a macro lens (Canon 180mm macro?)

What I'd like:
600mm f4 IS
A DCB to power the body and flash

What I'd love but won't get:
Canon 1D-Mark II. Fat chance. The 600mm is a better investment.

Eric