Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:35 AM   #31

do you know whats really good about a DCB? the fact that you the owner can replace the BP when its finally exhausted in about 15 minutes.

i have been using my 30w for about 3 years. at first when i tried to tell a number of people here how good it really was a few said they could home build one just as good or better. yeah right. yes the buy in is a little high but it performs outstandingly and is RELIABLE. its modular design allows for many uses.

if you go direct to tim dodge sales (the front end of DCB) thay can custom make any length of cable you want/need at a slight cost differential.

mine powers my 1Ds in cold weather, a 550ex strobe, Nikon F5, SB-28 strobe, minolta A1, a 5600D strobe, and a few other assorted electrical devices as necessary. versatility is the key.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:38 PM   #32

Sjms , I see that you can replace the BP yourself i like that, Have you had to do that yet? Eric I have my bigger glass, For the BB working on design now, It is thicker than the one that came with the BB, and heavier, I ran in to a porblem after I got the glass(Staples $8.00 8.25x11 2x) I think the BB is designed to go directly on the Flash on the hot shoe, well I allways shoot with a Strobo-Frame Pro T bracket and realized that, that puts the Flash about 4" higher than it probobly should, Hence the higher Flash Pattern. I could shim It angled down, and make it work but I want to try this Bigger glass. The brackets do have some flexability and will try them first, will post pics when done with the project. Still thinking about how to cut, I have a friend in the glass Business and I have a call into him for advice on cutting.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:59 PM   #33

did a test run. only about 15 minutes to do. great design. i do suggest getting the clip belt pouch.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:21 AM   #34

So the lens isn't plastic? I'm surprised, that seemed logical for the weight. If cutting the lens is that hard, then there is no practical way I can do it myself.

Please post the pictures about how to do it, this is still a very interesting idea.

sjms,
Is the cable long enough for the clip belt pouch to work well?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:26 AM   #35

mine are for both camera and strobe. yes they both are long enough
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:30 PM   #36

Eric, Sorry I said Glass!!!! It is plastic. I am going out now to test the Pattern. I tryed it first by not cutting, The holders will reach the Velcro I added to the new lens, I wasen't sure they would because I extended them may be 2 inches, (wider). About the only problem I had was the elsastic band that holds the brackets to the Flash head wasen't strong enough. the angle on the brackets is made for the smaller lens, so when I widend them, a gap Started between the Flash head and the Brackets, Solution, I added Velcro to the side of the Flash Head and to the brackets, HoldS fine, I am going to make a another support of some sort for it Because the weight causes a little down tilt to it , I dunno it may not matter. It may look odd and is heavy, but when I will use this most it will be on tripod. sjms, I didn't get the case I thought they wanted to much for that. So I cut an old Cell phone case backing and used Double velcro to fasten the Belt clip, Call me cheap :lol: The Velcro I use is 3m type and is more plastic than cloth and is very tough stuff, To test this type, I put Velcro on a Baseball and hung it in my studio it has been there for over a year and has never let go. I used cloth type on the lens because that what was on the Brackets. Good luck...
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:34 PM   #37

sjms... I like your Galllery especially the Bears... cool stuff
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:07 PM   #38

Thanks for the picture. I'm interesting in how wel lthat works. My first thought is that because the lens is off center from the flash, I'm guessing that will effect things.

I was kinda wondering if precise cutting will have to be done so that the center of the lens is at the center of the flash. But I really don't know if that is actually true or not. Just something I wondered about.

Eric
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:14 PM   #39

I thought that also about the center, (and I will test more) But with the big fresnel "BF" It covers better don't know why? If it is in the center of the lens you get a circular Flash Pattern especialy at lower focal lenfths say 35mm . but at 75mm it starts to cover all area. I shot outside and it is Dark so the focus was real bad but I got the idea of what it will do. Will do more test in the comming days and let you know.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:16 PM   #40

Thanks, I appreciate it any info you turn up.

Eric