Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:17 AM   #1

Default Need more power!!

Im using the Nikon SB-800 Flash and a Boat load of AA recharge batteries. Time to upgrade, Nikon makes the SD 8 A Battery pack holds 8 AA bateries. Increases re-fresh time all the good stuff . Still AA powered. Im leaning to The Quantum Turbo or Turbo Z powerpack. The cost is about 4 times greater for the Quantum over the nikon( not really an issue). Im intereted in any coments on both or if there is any other (brand) I am missing out there. I do shoot all day, remote ( not able to recharge on location). So longevity is important. If you have experience with these units your comments are welcome . Thanks
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2004, 4:33 PM   #2

Another possible option is to get a digital camera battery (www.digitalcamerabattery.com). They have an added advantage of powering both your camera and flash.

They last a really, really, really long time. Rather amazing, actually. Check out this review:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-4059-4084

I've read reasonable things for the Quantum Turbo, but I personally have no experience with it (or the DCB I listed above.) I've read really good things about the DCB.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:12 PM   #3

Thanks Eric for the info but my nikons are fine ( as far as batteries they are almost powerd by nukes at least it seem like it) No problem there it's just the flash I want to power.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:13 AM   #4

The DCB will last about 3 times as long as the Turbo Z. I don't know about the Turbo. If between 250 and 350 flashes is enough, then the Turbo Z would be good enough. If not, then the DCB will last a lot more.

I didn't see you have a D100. The battery life on that is supposed to be amazing. I'm not surprised that it's good enough.

The DCB will still power your flash very well and for lots of pictures. I can't speak for cost... is the Turbo Z about 1/3 the cost of the DCB? If so, it might be cost effective.

Eric
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:38 AM   #5

I am leaning toward thr Turbo over the "Z" . The weight is the only advantage I Can see. Cost of Turbo with cord from B&H is about $400. Im going to check into the DCB I am not sure what the DCB is so I am going to follow your link you showed and check it out . Thanks a million for the info.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:44 AM   #6

The DCB will run about $150 more with everthing but will last all day. Thats what im looking for a 30, 60, 90,and 120W are available thanks again for the heads up. on this.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:40 AM   #7

Ya, this battery is on my list of things to get.... Other than flash recycle times, though, I haven't needed it. So I'm holding out until I really prove I need it (althought I did miss some pictures this weekend becuase my battery couldn't handle the cold.)

Did you read that review of the DCB that I linked? If not, then you'll want to know this.

One thing to note. The DCB has two cables for flashes (at least for Canon flashes.) One gives you consistant recharge time through out the life of the battery. It's a slower recycle/recharge rate than the Quantum's times, but you won't overheat the flash (too many flashes too quickly can melt the flash.) That cable is cheaper.

They also make a more expensive cable that gives you a flash-to-flash time that matches the Quantum time, but risks damaging the flash if you do 3-5 in a row. I believe the flash recycle does does slow down to the speed of the "normal" cable eventually. If you need really fast flash times, then this could be the table you want... but it's about twice the price (ouch!)

Eric
Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:39 PM   #8

Eric, Im ordering the 60w and so I don't burn up the flash, the cheaper cable. But first I am going to call the maker and get there opinion, for the type of shooting I do. By the way the 90W is discontinued and the 60w is a special order thing. B&H Shows the 60W in stock the 30W out of stock and no cables, I am calling them tomarrow to se what is available. Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:05 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. I've been eyeing their battery for awhile. I hope this isn't a sign of trouble for the company.

Eric
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:19 PM   #10

I will post tomarrow after I speek with them.