Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1

Default NiMh battery usage

I'm pretty new to using NiMh batteries. I asked my local reatiler for some tips and the one thing suggested strongly was to make sure yo use thse batteries regularly. If I keep them lying around and used them let us say to click just 10-15 pics a month, this would shorten the lives of the batteies!
Now, is this really true???
virsingh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:32 PM   #2

NiHm batteries will lose their charge while they are in storage. If I remember, the lost is about 2 percent per day.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:14 PM   #3

What the guy was trying to say is that apart from losing their char NiMh batteries will also shorten their lives, i.e., their ability to be charged again.
virsingh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:17 PM   #4

The way people here hammer their Nimh's in fast chargers until they cook, I wouldn't worry about it, after a couple of years hard use like this if they are AA- just throw away.

In your case with infrequent use I'd say the biggest problem is picking up the camera when you most need it and finding little or no juice in the camera batts or the spare set in the bag. As Gib says - 2% is 2%!

What I do is leave 2 sets of batts on permanent trickle charge. Most fast chargers of the Maha type do this at the end of charge. I always keep a set of Alkalines in the camera. These are useless for powering up but they have much lower self discharge and will keep your camera user settings alive for months. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:34 PM   #5

virsingh77

Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMh) unlike the NiCad battery do not lose their ability to be recharged. The NiMh battery have no memory charge problems. What I am saying is if you fully charge the NiMh battery and it sets in your camera for a month without use then it will only have about 40 percent of it's original charge.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 2:16 PM   #6

Default Dubious

I'm not an electrical engineer but I am curious. I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, and high-capacity batteries aren't available so I bought some extra sets in May, 2003, when I last visited the U.S. I read this thread an hour ago and took a set I charged last June and put in my drawer and put them in my Maha 401 charger set to slow charge. If they lose 2% a day they should have been totally dead months ago. It's been forty minutes and three of the four batteries are charged.

I'm guessing the initial discharge rate may be 2% but at some point, fairly soon, the discharge rate drops to a level that's apparently much lower.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:40 PM   #7

It depends how you define 'dead' , or what is a 'bad' battery. Plenty of batteries appear OK, even new - but cannot sustain the continuous high load of the camera. Hence the many posts about charging and discharging a few times. The 2% figure Gib mentions is only an estimate. I imagine for example, that if you left batts stored during a hot summer, they might discharge even faster.

You said that 3 of the 4 batteries charged more quickly. Straight away you should realise that if any one cell is low on capacity in a camera set of 4, then that is the capacity your battery stack will deliver, the extra charge in the other cells becomes irrelevant.

The real test of charge capacity (as opposed to what a Maha charger might think is fully charged) is to discharge the battery at its working load. In simple terms, how long will the camera run with its lcd display on, or how many flash re-charges do you get, for flashes fired for maximum distance. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote