Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 23, 2002, 6:39 AM   #1

Default HELP *Is this true?*

An employee at Best Buy told me that certain NiMH batteries need certain types of chargers. He said something in the context of certain chargers wont be compatible with certain batteries because of different mAhísóbe it lower or higher than of the chargerís. Is this true?

Because I recently purchased a set of Maxell and Duracell NiMHs (1600 and 1800mAh) hoping I could charge them on my brotherís old NiCd/NiMh 1hr charger. I'm not sure about the specs of the charger because my brother is off in the Navy and I cant ask.

By the way, is $26 dollars too much for eight (1800 mAh) NiMH batteries? (includes tax)
alwayzaskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2002, 6:58 AM   #2
NHL

I would always be skektic about what any salesman say.

If your brother's charger say NiMh then it should be OK, and even though you can't always get 1800 NiMh at Walmart or target, $26/8 is normal I guess...($11.99 is the regular price for 4/1700mAh)

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by NHL]
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:02 AM   #3

No problem, if your charger is designed to charge Nimhs batteries, then it's fine to use it to charge your new batteries, the higher the MAH rating on the batteries, the longer time it take to charge. For an example, you said: your brother old 1 hour charger, back then, may be it was design to charge the 1200MAH or 1400MAH batteries within an hour, with your new higher MAH batteries, it may take more than 1 hour to charge, may be 1.5 or 2 hours. You probably paid an average price for those batteries, may be you will get a better price on some mail order deals without paying tax, but then shipping is the key factor, unless you order them with some other major items to save the shipping costs.

[Edited on 8-23-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 4:41 PM   #4

Default OHHH I SEE.

Thanks for replying... I understand it a bit more.

If that's the case, how long should I keep my 1600/1800 mAh batteries in the charger?? So as to avoid overcharging/undercharging?
alwayzaskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 8:35 AM   #5

Doesn't your charger have the lights that when the batteries are being charged, the lights are red, and they turn off after they are fully charged, or on some charger the light will turn to a different color... Most battery MFGs recommend you remove the battery immediately after full charge for safety reason, but you can't overcharge the Nimh battery anyway, I 've left my Nimh batteries on my charger a few times over the weekend (more than 48 hours), no harm was done...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote