Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:24 PM   #1

Default Life of Lithium Ion Battery

I read that Lithium Ion battery has got limited life span, about 2-3 years. Means even if you donít use it (kept in unopened condition) still it is useless after 2-3 years. Is it correct? If yes then why the battery manufactures donít put manufacturing and expiry dates on the package? Is there any way to find out?

Regards

SUhas
suhasgokhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

Cross posting is not advised. These forums are not linked and not all people read all forums (and not at the same time).

Please pick a single forum for your question.

-------------
\Quote:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:23 am** *Post subject: Life of Lithium Ion Battery?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read that Lithium Ion battery has got limited life span, about 2-3 years. Means even if you donít use it (kept in unopened condition) still it is useless after 2-3 years. Is it correct? If yes then why the battery manufactures donít put manufacturing and expiry dates on the package?

This is apparently true for the Lithium Ion chemistry employed today; but advaces in Li-ion battery chemistry/manufacturing technology are almost exponential. By the time the Li-ion bat you buy today reaches its end of life the replacement technology most likely will have significantly different (and better) characteristics.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:26 AM   #3

if it is under constant use it is about 18 months. ask any ipod or heay laptop user. sice most people don't cycle them in a continuous manner they can go out as far as 3 yrs as is said.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4

I've had numerous Sony InfoLithium batteries and still use some that are several years old. They seem to last forever. Perhaps the batteries they speak of here are not Sony.
Waynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:03 AM   #5

i've had sony batteries that last and ones that just went over the warranty period and died. if your a constant user the average is 18 months or 500-1000 charges. due to the work i do i track my batteries for consistancy. i found that there is about an average 25% variance on these things for longevity.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:52 PM   #6

Reference this :

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:08 PM   #7

sjms, thanks for that link. I have been having some battery problems as well, so this is exactly what I needed to know!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 8:44 PM   #8

Default Thanks sjms..

I read similar articles else where , that 's why I asked the question, if Lithium battery life is only for 2-3 years (regardless of use) then why not manufacturer puts mfg date on it? How I am going to decide whether the battery is fresh or about to die?
suhasgokhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:30 PM   #9

My cynical answer is that your question about judging if the battery is fresh or about to die is precisely why the manufacturers don't put a date on Lithium Ion batteries.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote