Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:08 PM   #1

Default What happened to my battery?

I got four Sunpak 2200 NiMH batteries plus a Sunpak "rapid charger" (7 hours) :roll: from BH along with my Minolta Z1. I used the camera quite a bit last weekend, then charged the batteries last night. As I was putting them into the camera this morning, I noticed one looked mangled. The white on the top has deformed somewhat, and on the side of the battery it appears some of the coating has disappeared or something, like it just got rubbed off in places. Camera didn't work, so ended up putting in other batteries.
What happened with my battery? The charger was plugged in probably 8 or so hours. Did this one battery overcharge, explode or something else?
Also, in reading previous posts it seems Maha chargers and batteries are highly recommended. Since this problem with Sunpak has made me a bit leery, is there a brand of charger or battery I should stay away from, like maybe iPowerUS?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2004, 8:50 AM   #2

It sounds like the charger may have cooked the life out of that battery.
Maha is a good charger and many use it, but they have also been reported with occasionally cooking batteries.
I have the newest Maha C401FS but have found in my experience that the Lightning Pack 4000N works the best. Charges the best and the batteries are always cool, never hot or even near hot, and they are always charged within 2 and a half hours (2300 mah). Just leave them in and they will go to trickle charge and then use them when ready.
You can view this charger at www.ripvan100.com

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:05 PM   #3

I have the same maha charger. I never use the fast charger setting unless I really need the batteries "fast". They are only a slight bit warm with the slow charging setting.

Heat is the killer for batteries, so if you over heat them (which can happen by charging them too aggressively.. .too much electricty put into it) then you'll kill them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 4:22 PM   #4

Eric,
I was using the slow charge setting (the normal one gets them kind of hot), but it was taking 7 to 8 hours to complete the 2200's.
The Lightning Pack 4000N gets them done in 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and as I have already stated, in my testing and experience the LP 4000N works better than the Maha C401 FS (and they are still cooler during the charging than the slower setting on the Maha).
I was also interested in the 4 charging banks vs 2 of most others, but so much for that because it (Maha 401) is not doing better than the LP 4000N.

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote