Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 25, 2004, 7:41 AM   #1

Default UK Tesco cheap 2100Mah Energizer

For all of you uk based, Tesco in store are currently selling Energizer AA 2100Mah 4 pack rechargable batteries for 1.87.

Thats not a typing error - They're advertised at 3.75, but when they are scaned through at the till they come up at half the price at 1.87.

Which is dirt cheap, I bought 6 months ago Uniross 2100Mah for 12.99 for my Sony P92, this is less than a tenth of the price.

Dave
Lakeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2

Just bought mine, Thanks for the tip off.
redmikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 5:30 AM   #3

No sign of them in our Tesco, they'd had some Energizer compact chargers for 3.75 in but aren't getting any more.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:36 PM   #4

got mine today and started charging them ! thanks a lot for the tip!
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:33 PM   #5

Good News

My wife went shopping in Tescos today and they had them in stock, she bought all 7 packs
Old Apr 16, 2004, 3:22 PM   #6
MrE

none in my one store off to check another tomorrow as I am passing it on the way to work. Bloody Wales we are always the last to get the good stuff :-)
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 4:46 AM   #7

Hello, Don,t put to much faith in these Energizer NiMH batteries , i bought 3 sets from a discount store, made in Japan for Eveready it said ,the same ones your talking about. They take about 6 charges to come to peak condition, even then the window of usage is small, run my Nikon 5700 on fine, they last no time at all .They start at about 1.25 v to 1.35v instead of 1.5v from alk batteries. When my camera shut down showing no battery left, i cheak the voltage of the six batteries, one was .9v one was 1.0vthe others were 1.1 v to 1.2v ,this was low enough to shut it down. I always have a spare set charged in the side pocket and have found, after sometimes less than a week, they lasted even less. They don,t store voltage very well, I,m going to start using Duracell from now on. Has anyone else suffered the same ? Perhaps you who have just started to use them would keep me posted. gled.
Gled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:16 PM   #8

Gled,

No NiMh or NiCad rechargeable battery will measure 1.5v, their working voltage is 1.2v, they will measure around 1.4v when charged but this drops when a load is applied, the voltage will then remain fairly constant until the cell nears exhaustion. Alkaline batteries start at 1.5v and this continually drops during use, they are a VERY expensive way to power anything that requires medium to high current.

It's also quite normal for NIMh cells to take a few charge/discharge cycles to reach peak capacity. Can I ask what you're using to charge them with?, unless you have a proper NiMh charger they will not charge correctly, older NiCad chargers do not charge them properly.

I'm using mine in all sorts of things from a Minolta 7Hi, Sigma flash gun, various CD and MP3 players to kids torches and they last the same amount of time as my other cells which are Panasonic, Sanyo, Hama & GP.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 5:46 PM   #9

Gled wrote:
Quote:
Hello, Don,t put to much faith in these Energizer NiMH batteries
I have 24 AA Ni-MH cells, acquired over the last 2-3 years, and none of them have let me down (yet). They are from several different different manufacturers, and various outlets, including street markets at ridiculously low prices.

You need to understand the limitations of Ni-MH cells. They provide a high energy density and high current delivery ata very low price. They are much the best solution for portable electronic devices at present, in terms of performance/cost effectiveness. BUT, you need to know that they have a high self-discharge rate. If you have a mission-critical application, make sure you've top-up charged your Ni-MH cells shortlybefore use, using an intelligent charger which makes an attempt at determining the charging end-point. Look at the numerous posts in the 'batteries' forum for more information.

Camera and camcorder manufacturers are moving on to high capacity proprietary Li-ion batteries, which are very expensive, specific to particular cameras, and with rather limited lifetime. They're not quite finished yet, in research terms. So stick with AA Ni-MH while you can.

Don't, for goodness' sake, go to thowaway Mn-alkaline AA cells. It'll cost you a fortune, and they won't deliver the current you need.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote