Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Battery problems.....

Just bought a canon rebel digital camera.....I have charged 2 batteries,
(per instuctions) each time I turn on the camera, everything turns on and works....I click the shutter, flash goes off and camera goes to ........eer 99....tried it several times, same results.......replaced battery, same result..........Help....I'm getting tired.......
toneyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 10:18 PM   #2

Sounds like a defective camera. I believe the manual describes that error 99 is (at least, I think my 10D manual does... I don't have it handy.)

If you ordered the camera locally, it sounds like a trip back to the store is in order. It would be much faster to return the camera to the store than to send it off to Canon for repairs.

That is why I don't mail order camera bodies... too many things can go wrong. Ya, it's a little more expensive that way but I just consider it insurance and move on. Also, keeps the money local.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:32 AM   #3

I thought Error 99 was indicative of a communication error in the lens mount...no? I've never run across it, but read others having the error and it was a result of a lens problem (older Sigma). My manual isn't at my fingertips either, so I can't check.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:25 AM   #4

It very well could be. I had assumed (incorrectly, it isn't said) that testing was done to check a variety of things, including trying with a different lens.

Eric
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:21 AM   #5

Default err99...........

Thanks.........

My manual lists err99 as a battery problem......but when I changed lens...it worked....I was using a sigma (canon mount) , switched to a canon lens.....WOW! it worked.........and so does the forum.....
Dennis
toneyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:28 AM   #6

Contact Sigma and ask about having the chip upgraded to work with the new Canon cameras. Supposedly, they will do it without charge.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:48 AM   #7

I believe they do it without charge for the first X months of a camera body coming out. I'm not sure if it's free forever.

Good catch ohenry. I'll have to remember that, as I think I've gotten that error before (but without a sigma lens... I don't own any.) I'll try taking off the lens and putting it back on again.

Eric