Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:05 PM   #1

Default DCB owners

for those of use who own a DCB battery pack when your batteries finally need replacement you going to get a mild surprize. all DCB battery replacement batteries have been improved. you will need to send it back for this improvement. the DCB 30 Watt will come back as a DCB 40 Watt unit. the charge is $75 which is what you would pay for the replacement 30 watt BP. not too bad.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:37 PM   #2

Nice to hear that the product isn't dead. I had so much trouble trying to find price info I wondered where they were going... and if they were going to be around.

Now that I see a sign of life and growth I can hope they'll stay around.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:26 PM   #3

And I was about to get a 30W DCB this month... hopefully they update their website soon with info on the new DCB's. And what's the difference between the regular and pro flash cables other than 2x the price?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:07 AM   #4

remember they're a small operation putting out a pro product to pros. just because they don't put splashy adds in the rags and web doesn't mean its a problem.

they're also putting out a Li polymer battery soon. big bucks but slightly lighter then the 30w pack, same size, but 2x the output capability.

call them for pricing. the update on the packs are already in the line. order a 30 get a 40. buy it direct from Tim Dodge sales.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 8:40 AM   #5

http://65.110.81.28/bins/content_pag...id=7-6453-6871
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:26 AM   #6

My problem isn't that they don't advertize, its that I had trouble finding the parts for sale in stores. Actually going to B&H or adorama and pricing them so I can compare to a quantum 2x2.

As for the "Pro" cables, check out this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=19873

The "Pro" cable refreshes the flash fast enough to keep up with burst shooting. The risk is that you can melt down your flash if you do it too much or too long. You need to let the flash cool down.

Eric
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:54 AM   #7

i am familiar with it. i've been using their products for 3 years now. if you pop a strobe multiple times, no matter what the battery output is, its going to heat up. and if you continuously fire it , yes you will run the risk of melting the front lens. there are people that feel that they need the fastest recycle time in the world. i don't see harold edgerton hanging out here so i feel its the mine is faster then yours issue a lot times. there are strobes designed for high repeat rates at full output but they are cooled and the tubes lifespan is limited and ain't cheap. they (DCB) just supply the PS cord that will do just that at your risk. i have the regular cables for the 550x and my sb28. they more then fulfill their role at the distances i use them in for burst mode shooting. you know even if you could hook into the strobe systems at the arenas your going to find they recycle slower then most camera based strobes with BPs.

http://timdodgesalesn.goemerchant7.com/

he is the designer.

i'm in fla next week and only about 2 hours from them. i may drop my battery of for the new BP update mine are getting a little tired.

it is better to just get the stuff direct from DCB. plus if you have questions they'll answer them. custom cabling is also available for only a slight premium. the pricing difference is worth the info/service you get from them. the dealers don't seem to keep up on everything that is available because its not a high volume mover.

there really isn't a comparison except that quantum copied the basic DCB design and concept. the modularity of the DCB sort of puts it up a notch. is the battery pack user replaceable by the owner on the quantum?
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:09 PM   #8

Quote:
is the battery pack user replaceable by the owner on the quantum?
No, it isn't. One of the reasons I like the DCB more. It also seems to last longer from what I've read. And when I priced it, it was actually about $20 (USD) cheaper too.

One difference is case design. The DCB is long and skinny, the quantum is wide and short. Both have their pace. Wide and short would fit in my jacket pocket.

Its one of those things that is on my list, but other things are higher.

Eric