Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 29, 2002, 9:47 AM   #1

Default 1800mAh NiMH in Canon A40

We bought our A40 from Office Max who supplied us with 1800mAh batteries and charger from Digital Concepts (charger is labeled 'SAKAR' on back). It seems that the A40 doesn't like these batteries when they are fully charged - it will operate for a few minutes then switch itself off with the 'change batteries' message. Sometimes when we try the same batteries again after they have been sitting unused/not charging for a while the camera will work as normal and battery life is good. Is it possible that the A40 is not compatible with the 1800mAh batteries or could something else be going on? Canon CS says return camera to us.... We haven't tried lower powered NiMH batteries in it - alkaline AAs work as expected. Any thoughts? Thanks!
alisterhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:35 AM   #2

could be bad battery, digicams use lots of power that could cause a bad battery to heat up and tempory fail until cool. Sometime also on intial charge if interupted can cause problems.
also are batteries warm comming out of charger when they fail a few minutes later? 1800 rating has no effect on this prob, best to use high rated batteries.

Gary

[Edited on 8-29-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. If it is the batteries that are bad then I would advise against buying that brand because Office Max have replaced them 3 times to try and help us! Office Max have been very helpful! The batteries have not been unusually warm and the initial charging of each set has not been interrupted. Office Max have also replaced the charger to see if that was the problem but the same thing happened with the new charger and new batteries.... I do remember reading on some review online somwhere that 1800mAh batteries may cause problems with the A40 but I can't find this again to re-read it. Maybe we should go get some 1600mAh NiMHs and test the theory....
Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:22 AM   #4
MK

I don't know what your problem really is but capacity has NO effect on your camera. More mAh just means more run time for your camera.

Seems like the batteries are not being fully charged which I doubt since you've exchanged the set 3 times already. Or, they may not be making good contact inside your camera. I know with the Nikon Coolpix 9xx line of cameras, some batteries won't work because they were just a tad shorter than the standard. Thus when you close the battery cover, they weren't making contact.

Another possibility is that their voltages are too high for the camera once you take them off the charger and the camera sensed that. You may want to let the batteries rest for about 1/2 an hour so their voltage can come down a little from the charge cycle.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks! This sounds like a possibility. I will do as you suggest and not attempt to use the batteries for a while after charging. However this doesn't explain every occasion where we have had the problem - unless our spare set of batteries were getting charged as we were sitting on a boat in the middle of Lake Michigan, that is! Another question springs to mind - is it OK to keep the spare set of batteries stored in the unplugged charger? The unit fits nicely into the front pocket of our camera bag. The plot thickens.

A smart guy wrote:

>Another possibility is that their voltages >are too high for the camera once you >take them off the charger and the >camera sensed that. You may want to >let the batteries rest for about 1/2 an >hour so their voltage can come down a >little from the charge cycle.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 6:18 PM   #6

Hi alisterhill, I do have the same problem. I bought a Powershot A20 2 or 3 week ago and having the "Change the batteries" messages on the screen. Everytime that I switched on the camera the message pops-up and will shut-off itself for 1 or 2 times, the next time i switched it on (say 5 seconds) it will works perfectly.

I also ask for the battery and charger replacement with the same type and brand but the problem still persists. I raised the problem with the Camera shop and they say there is no problem with 1200, 1600, 1800 issues (the more the better they say). This message doesn't come out when I use Alkaline batteries except of fast draining.

It seems that we are using different battery and charger brand but we do have the same problem.... does anyone think it might be a camera problem?

'hope that you will contact me once you find a soultion and i'll do the same... ([email protected])

Here's my Charger and Batteries info:
Powerhaus Rapid Charger
Input: AC 240V 50 Hz
Output: 12V 800mA

Powerhaus 1800mAh
HR6 AA 1.2V

Thanks!
Larry
LarryAnda is offline   Reply With Quote