Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:03 PM   #1

Default NiMH AA: Rayovac/Duracell/Energizer? And charger?

Looking for ideas on which brand to consider...I'm brand new to a digital camera (just a plain Fuji A205 2-mpx)...and it uses a pair of AA's...looked at various chargers/batteries...

Here's a summary of what I've found as options thus far:
Rayovac has a unknown-hour (16?) unit with 2 1800mAh for $10 (extra 4 AA's @ $9) at Wal-mart
Duracell has a 1 hour unit with 4 2050mAh for $25 at Wal-mart
Energizer has a 2-4 hour AC/DC unit with 4 2100mAh for $27 via Net (model CHCARCP-4)

Anyone have any comments on these options? I WON'T be taking a lot of pix! Just on occasions so my needs are limited..

Thanks!
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:17 PM   #2

I like this one http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...yovac_ic3.html The charger with two batteries is $28 and four packs of batteries are $13 at Walmart. They charge in fifteen minutes last a long time in my Fuji S5000
Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:39 AM   #3

Forgot to mention that WEIGHT of unit is also a factor for traveling...the lighter, the better...

Cost is also a factor...would like to keep it less than $25 for charger & 4 batts...

Saw a Panasonic unit with 2 AA's at Circuit City for $20 on Sat nite...lightweight but not sure about time...likely a 2-4 hr type...
Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4
m12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger
I like this one http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...yovac_ic3.html The charger with two batteries is $28 and four packs of batteries are $13 at Walmart. They charge in fifteen minutes last a long time in my Fuji S5000
You can get the 15 min charger, 4 batteries, plus car charger @ Sam's Club. I think it was only $30 (dont remember though). I didnt have a sam's club card so I found a guest pass online and used that.
m12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 9:25 AM   #5

One thing to remember with the super fast chargers, though, I think is that they supposedly make the overall life span of the batteries shorter because they charge the battery a lot harder. I know this is true of NiMh cell phone batteries, and is why most cell phone companies have changed over to lithium ion for the cell phones, as the car chargers (which are quick chargers) don't affect them as badly. I would advise getting a medium length charger, say 6 or 7 hours average time instead of a quick charger, and having a couplesets of batteries.

I currently have a Lenmar charger that came with 4 2300 mAh AA's that I picked up for $19.99. I have an extra set of the batteries that I got for I think $5.00.

On the other side of that, I have one of the inexpensive walmart Ray-o-vac chargers that usually takes overnight to charge, and I have a set of four 1500 mAh and a set of four 1600 mAh Lenmar batteries that I use for my portable police scanner. I run it every day (it will run about 24 hours on a charge), and I've had it for a couple years. I still can tell no battery capacity loss after two years of using these batteries every day like this, so I'd say that I could at least somewhat support my theory with this. Think of the amount of money I've saved in two years on batteries by using this charger....:shock:
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 8:18 PM   #6

Sanyo is a world class battery maker and the best buy at costco here in canada. $30. will get you 4-2100mh AA nimh cells and a peak charger that will not cook the batteries like some will.:bye:
Forgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:41 PM   #7

The best AA NiMH cells have to go to GP (Gold Peak), they are the best.

I uses AA NiMH exclusively. But yes, they are not HEAT friendly. Ordinary charger weren't really made to charge NiMH. You can get the GP cells 2200mah for under $3.00

I am using this charger to charge my cells. I race R/C cars, so I already this charger to charge all my racing cells. So, for me to using AA NiMH cell in my *ist D is a bonus!

Again, GP is the best cell. But you do need a decent charger with a very GOOD peak detection to charge the NiMH cells. Most of the regular charger are TIMED charger.

It's can not monitor how much juice you have in the cell, you might ended up cooked them cells so soon.

Before I charge my cells I discharged each cell down to .90 volt. My 2 years old 1800 mah cells can easily allow me to get at least 300 shot at 3002x2002 with AF lenses, 50% flash.

GP cells, if you take care of them they will last for a long long time!

4pentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 2:37 PM   #8

jhallgren wrote:
Quote:
Forgot to mention that WEIGHT of unit is also a factor for traveling...the lighter, the better...

Cost is also a factor...would like to keep it less than $25 for charger & 4 batts...

Saw a Panasonic unit with 2 AA's at Circuit City for $20 on Sat nite...lightweight but not sure about time...likely a 2-4 hr type...
I just bought the panasonic charger you mentioned with 2 more panasonic batteries for a total of $28. The batteries included with the chargerare 2100mAh. The charger is compact and can work with 100 ~ 240v world wide. It charges 2 AAs for 2 hours and 4 AAs for 4 hours. So far so good. Let's see how it works out in my S7000.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 6:45 AM   #9

Here is some more information, based on testing not just personal opinion. Just what you need, information overload to add some more confusion and challenge to the decision process.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 8:35 AM   #10

Ended up returning the Fuji A205 and upgrading to a Nikon CoolPix 2200...MUCH better camera! For not that much more $$$...anyway...after reading replies here and due to timing of when I HAD to buy something....

I found the best charger/battery combo for MY needs was the CH-4900 Digital Concepts/Sakar from Wal-Mart at $18 or so...comes with 4 AA's that say 2200 mAh and unit is VERY light weight and is overseas 50hz compatible...the weight issue was prime factor....it takes about 90 min to charge...not that quick but weight makes up for it...

I can carry it and camera in mini case and combo weighs LESS than my old 35mm point-n-shoot...Lightest charger that I found in my local area...didn't buyvia net due to wanting to verify weight which some places could not provide...

Had to go to another store to get that specific model...don't get the similar CH-3900...it's cheaper BUT MUCH heavier and has smaller capacity batteries