Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 17, 2004, 2:15 AM   #11

The battery lasted though about 4/5 of the way into the third wedding, when I saw the red light blinking. But the strange thing was that after turning off the battery for a while and switching it back on, the led meter would show green. :O Humm... But I did shoot ~1000 flash shots that I kept (did not erase after reviewing), and most of the flashes were bounced. I will shoot an e-mail to Tim Dodge to find out if it's a problem not discussed in the manual, but nonetheless I was absolutely thrilled with its performance. My firend that uses a Quantum battery can't do two weddings without recharging, plus his Quantum uses a Ni-Cd cell prone to memory. This time around I did not find the transformer to be a problem at all, I guess I got used to it
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 9:46 AM   #12

After it turned back to green, were you able to finish the last wedding?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 4:33 PM   #13

Hey Eric, I just turned off the DCB and finished the wedding on my spare AA's - I always carry 2 spare sets of NiMH and a set of alkalines for further redundancy. I sent an e-mail to Tim Dodge and he explained just what I thought would be the culprit of this. Because the battery was on and hooked to my SB-80DX for a total of nearly 30 hours non-stop, the flash itself when not firing it's still draining the battery very slightly. So it's normal (when they test the batteries they fire the flashes non-stop, waiting for the flash to fully recycle between each shot, until they run down the battery) That is not what I subject my battery to at weddings :O I'll have two more weddings this weekend, but I know now the battery's limits and will recharge it before a third wedding in a row :| Not a problem since I got the fast charger
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 7:53 AM   #14

The Cap in the flash is always loosing a little charge, which the battery is replacing. So that makes sense. But I'd also think that the way the use it (firing full bursts ina row) would heat up the battery after awhile and cause it to be less efficient.

But maybe the heat isn't really enough to effect the results, but the slowly recharging the cap does.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 8:50 AM   #15

I looked at the site of digital camera battery.

It is full of technical errors and bogus claims to impress the casual reader.
They do not know the difference between capacity or amount of energyversus power.
They confuse current (Ampere) from current capacity (AH).
They do not want to disclose the specifics of the used battery; they only say it is NiMH.
They do not say if the DC/DC converter outputs are isolated; they are probably not. However you could get into serious troubles when powering a flash and camera together from one source, and connect the flash onto the camera.Ground loop currents can ruin your equipment.

Since they are so sneaky about the battery, let me just calculate what is possible with current AA cells:

10 cells of 2400mAh AA cells has 12Volts and about 29Watt-hour of energy.
Each cell weigh 27grams, so the total battery weighs 270g.
The It is an energy density of 9.3g/Wh

The DCB package weighs 1.57 pounds or 710grams.
This 30Wh package has an energy density of 24g/Wh. That is 2.5 times less efficient!
From the specifications such as charge current, size and weight, they are most likely using 20 AA cells of 1200mAh or 1300mAh. That is pretty outdated technology by my standards.

bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 4:23 PM   #16

actually they are 1600 mah nimh batts.

plain and simple i've owned a 30w pack for 2.5 years and it has outlasted just about all of the others on the market. i have a feeling that there are issues that your not taking into account and they're not telling. there is so it could be that their designer is smarter then some of us around here.

its powered my 1Ds all winter and both camera and flash on many occasions without a hitch. previous to that it powered my F5 (homemade adapter) and SB28 strobe with no ill effects too. to date ther has been no reports of problems with the units and they back the product up too. they have also been out for 3.5 years now and other manufacturers are following in their design concept. they have been used in a greatly varied situations which without them the images probably never would have been done digitally due to the power limitations and the environment they were used in.

do you have access to or used one or are we just out sniping here and using assumption instead of facts?

in the pro world there are quite a few users this side of the atlantic that swear by these.

so i think you should purchase one and then open it up test it and then report instead of assuming the worst.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 9:28 AM   #17

Sjms, I don't own it, as you can read in my post, and I never would. Way too expensive for me. If I had the need for it, I would build one myself for a fraction of the cost.

It were the technical hype, BS and incorrectnesses that made me react. It looks so much like "Tell-Sell". But perhaps it is just a culture difference between our two continents.

B.T.W. I never saw a transformer work onDC voltage; did they reinvent electronics?. What they obviously mean is a DC converter, but why not call it what it is supposed to be named?
Old May 26, 2004, 9:54 AM   #18

in short you know nothing of the product s design and yet you snipe on it. this sort of puts you on the defense because you haven't got a clue. and as i said previously you don't know whats inside that makes it work. so until you have solid definitive technical specs and then can disprove what obviously seems to work for quite a few other people that own them i suggest you contact DCB and find out whats going on then write about how it does or doesn't work. the other option is to no longer write about it because you have no knowledge or expertise on this device again just assumption. and of course you know what assume means right?

well making one nearly as well has been tried but not as economically. i work in avionics and the reverse engineering is fairly easy. now i could give it a shot and build it myself too. but why waste my valuable time at $xxx/hr to do so. i see the product as an excellent value /$ in my secondary work. why don't you design a pack then take the time to patent any available patentable portions of its design. go out andtry selling it. get a following making it good and by backing it with a good warranty. then reasonably mass produce them and maintain that quality. then on top of that when the batteries finally go south. replace them with an evenhigher output pack for the same price as thereplacement pack. you know we all say we can do lots of things then as nike says "just do it". i challenge you.

be careful though they are working on a Li pack that is lighter anda higher power density too.

Old May 26, 2004, 10:13 AM   #19

sjms wrote:
Quote:
in short you know nothing of the product s design and yet you snipe on it. this sort of puts you on the defense because you haven't got a clue. and as i said previously you don't know whats inside that makes it work. so until you have solid definitive technical specs and then can disprove what obviously seems to work for quite a few other people that own them i suggest you contact DCB and find out whats going on then write about how it does or doesn't work. the other option is to no longer write about it because you have no knowledge or expertise on this device again just assumption. and of course you know what assume means right?
My gripe is not on the technical design, although it is lagging behind on current battery technology. I have a problem with what they "tell" the customer on their website and product sheet. The errors, the claims, the BS they write to impress the casual reader, do put me off.

If they have solid technical designed product, they should also provide solid documentation.
If the productdoes reflect the provided documentation , then it really s*cks!

Old May 26, 2004, 10:48 AM   #20

where are they behind in battery tech? is it because they don't use Li tech? that at this point is a little high priced. it is a balance of cost vs output.

the data is pretty accurate when you know how to read it it might be a concept difference.there are 20 1600mah nimh batts. each socket has its own output potential from 1.2-16vdc. the cable plug supplies the "programming" for the computer to drive that individual output socket. it simple pin programming. depending on the devices you plug in the potential of the pack will vary. it has approx 15aH with the 30w power density with a 2vdc output. depending on the the device connected the draw will change thus lowering the AH rating thus shortening the batteries life on thr charge. the output is highly regulated /controlled.

as was said above they are replacing all 30w packs with 40w packs as they are serviced for spent batteries that is still a nominal $75 charge which it always has been. and less then the others of whicjh can't be changed.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-4059-4084