Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 4, 2004, 2:41 AM   #1

Wow, this battery is great! Asides from the inline transformer that dangles at the bottom of the flash cable, I can't find a thing bad about it! After doing a wedding and taking over 200 flash shots, the battery doesn't even look like it broke a sweat. Still shows a green led (green - yellow - red - then blinking red tell you how much power is left in the pack). It's rated at over 1300 full power flash pops, so I should get well beyond 2000 pops at less than full power a pop That's kick a$$!!! No longer will I have to worry about NiMH AA's dying* on me at the least oportune moment. When I say dying, I mean not recycling the flash as fast as when fresh batteries are inserted. I tested it on my D100/SB-800 combo and the limiting factor was the D100's buffer - got 7 images with pretty constant lighting from shot to shot. I also tried it on my F100 w/o film and let it rip at 4fps for about 10-12 pops (call me a chicken but I didn't want to risk busting my brand new SB-800), WOW!!! Imagine if I had a D2h or a 1D mk2? Anyway, no battery is perfect though, and I accept its limitation - actually a cable limitation - in recycling the flash to full power in *only* ~2s. Had I gotten the pro cable I guess it would recycle the flash so fast I would end up melting the flash's plastic lens :P Since i don't need to shoot that fast at full power, the regular cable will suit me just fine If only DCB could change that dang transformer on the cable... it would be absolutely perfect!
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2004, 5:04 AM   #2

Here's a link to a review by Rob Galbraith of the 30W DCB:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-4059-4084
Old May 6, 2004, 7:50 PM   #3

gee, i only told people about it about 2 years ago on this site. got blindsided by the home battery pack builders as theirs were better and more cost effective(right:lol. i've had the 30 watt unit for over 2 years and runs a whole bunch of stuff. the BP is starting to show some aging. almost time to spend the $75 for the 40w upgrade.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 12:58 AM   #4

I think I may remember that. I've been wanting to get a DCB since I read Rob Galbraith's article back then, but could never justify the need for it. At least now I can also get a cable for feeding my iBook on extended shoots or on a plane for watching a dvd
Old May 9, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5

I agree this is a awsome Battery.. I have the 30w and the Pro cable.. Here (Pic) is my solution to the transformer on the cable problem.. use the good 3M brand velcro..
Attached Images

cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 12:24 PM   #6

Wow, the transformer on the pro cable is even bigger? :O I know it goes against the idea of versatility in powering many different devices, but I wish the transformer was built into the battery or somehow built into each connector that attached to the battery. I've got three more weddings coming up this week, and this time I will not re-charge the battery until the last wedding is over :| There should be plenty of juice left even then
Old May 9, 2004, 4:02 PM   #7

marokero, well good luck on the weddings, I did a lttle test with the pro cable and (I only power my SB-80 flash )with this and shot 10 full power flashes with no ill effects to the flash.. Like you said this thing ROCKS..The refresh rate is outstanding especially at DTTL Auto flash.. I don't power the Nikon D2H or the D-100 with it only the flash.. was wondering if the cord hookup is the same for the SB-80 and the SB-800? I am betting it is ..
Old May 14, 2004, 2:57 AM   #8

Hey cowboy, the connector for both SB-80DX and SB-800 is the same. The DCB is charging right now, I'll post more on Monday after my three weddings. My guess is there will be plenty of power left in the battery for another wedding
Old May 14, 2004, 1:35 PM   #9

I bet there is too. Good luck with the wedding!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 9:02 PM   #10

I second that!! Good Luck..