Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:48 PM   #11

For what it's worth, I've had the 204W for about 10 weeks and have gone through 4 charges and have not had a problem yet - hardly an exhaustive study. But I also like the small cord (i.e. no large block to plug into the wall) - it makes it easier for transport. I can also say the maha 2300 batteries have worked well - I've gotten very good results and good recharge with my flash unit using them.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:04 AM   #12

there's one thing that's not clear to me. i'm not experienced user at all - maybe that's why. :lol:

MH-C204W is 2000mA charger but it can charge 2300mAh batteries - how?

i thought it could only charge batteries at 2000mah or less.

can anyone explain this to me, please.
bibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:28 PM   #13

Bibby,

Not sure where you read the 204W was for 2000 or less. Actually, the instructions state that you should not use the 1-hour speed charge for batteries UNDER 2000. There should be no issues with charging batteries well into the future with this charger.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:57 AM   #14
Administrator

spark wrote:
Quote:
Hum, I wish I found this thread before I ordered a Maha C401FS last week. I don't mind too much if it charges batteries at different rates, I would expect as much with variations in battery tolerances, but if the problem lies within Maha's circuitry I don't know why Steves-digicams doesn't mention this. As a matter of fact I haven't read this possible problem in any "official" review of this product. Very disappointing.

Sam

The reason is that I still haven't seen this problem. I use a C401FS here to charge all of my AA batteries and have never encountered the problem of one battery charging faster or longer than the others. Maybe I got one of their first "good ones" but more than likely there was a production run of them that got a bad or faultypart. I'm sure it has been solved by now.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 2:00 PM   #15

JohnGwrote:
Quote:

Bibby,

Not sure where you read the 204W was for 2000 or less. Actually, the instructions state that you should not use the 1-hour speed charge for batteries UNDER 2000. There should be no issues with charging batteries well into the future with this charger.

John
thanks for the reply! :bye:

here:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/Item...;cur=specs#mid

Charge current: 2000mA (AA)

so i think that it's for 2000 or less mah batteries.

anyone who can clear this puzzle is welcome to reply! :lol:

Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:19 PM   #16
Baz

Bibby, you are confused between ma and mAh. There is a difference. ma is a rate of current drawn by a device, or the current output of a charger.

mAh (milli amp hours) is a measure of a batteries capacity. i.e. how long it will last at a certain current drawn. Such as say, camera draws 1000ma current & battery lasts for 2 hours. 1000ma x 2hours = 2000mAh capacity. That is a simplification, but shows that the amount of time is involved.

This charger with a 2000ma output will charge 2300mAh batteries, but will take a little longer than charging lesser capacity batteries. Does that help ?

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:43 AM   #17

Since we're on the topic,I have both the C401FS & C204W chargers.I'm not overwhelmingly impressed with either. C204W:- Flashing Yellow-Discharge|RedFast Charge|Green-Trickle Charge. On its Discharge/conditioning cycle it stops,shows red very briefly & within literallyminutes shows green.Meaning it's bottomed out on its discharge cycle but instead of fast charging for a reasonable period of time it's gone straight into 50mA trickle mode.If the lights are functioning correctly the Batts have got no hope of gaining a reasonable charge in a reasonable time.I have 2 204W both consistently showing the above behaviour on all channels.C401FS:-On fast charge heats Powerex 2300mAH(4) up to 50 Degrees C,too hot to touch for long. I know that some parties say that this is a permissable temp,but if you can find other chargers that will do the same job or close to it without cooking the batteries, why wouldn't you?As MAHA chargers get such good promotion I was set to be impressed- but state of the art ?At this early stage I dont think so(hopefully I'll be proved wrong) Can anyone shed light on any of this? Feedback woul be welcome.
photog180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:00 AM   #18

Well, I can report after 8 charges with 4 separate batteries (2300mAh Energizer, 2000mAh GP, 1600mAh Maxell, and 1800mAh Digipower) my C401FS does exhibit some minor time differences indicating when each battery is trickle charging (green light). I don't know if it's a circuitry problem or not but have decided not to return it for the following reasons. 1) The charger seems to charge all batteries well once the green light comes on. 2) All batteries charge at a very low temp with slow charge feature and are only moderately warm under a fast charge. Overall I'm happy with my C201FS.

Sam
:-)
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:01 AM   #19
Baz

Thanks for your report Spark. But do you think you are reporting a problem? AFAIK the C401FS charger has 4 separate circuits, one for each battery. Thats it's claimed benefit.

As each cell is charged indivually, there are sure to be minor differences in the charging time foreach cell. Seems to me to be a benefit, as each cell is completely charged before going into trickle charge.

As you have noted, all cells are charged well at reasonable temperatures. Seems good to me.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:33 AM   #20

Baz wrote:
Quote:
Bibby, you are confused between ma and mAh. There is a difference. ma is a rate of current drawn by a device, or the current output of a charger.

mAh (milli amp hours) is a measure of a batteries capacity. i.e. how long it will last at a certain current drawn. Such as say, camera draws 1000ma current & battery lasts for 2 hours. 1000ma x 2hours = 2000mAh capacity. That is a simplification, but shows that the amount of time is involved.

This charger with a 2000ma output will charge 2300mAh batteries, but will take a little longer than charging lesser capacity batteries. Does that help ?

Many thanks for your reply Baz! Things are now clear to me, and I understand it.

Once again, thanks for your explanation!:idea: