Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 16, 2004, 10:39 AM   #1

So the C204F has this "Battery Conditioning and Rejuvenation".

Isn´t thatbetter for the batteries? Becouse the C401FS does not have this feature. But the C401FS is a newer brand. Exept for the option to switch between 100min. and 5 hour charging times... is the C401FS any better?

Thanks
skuliaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 4:49 PM   #2

I would say the verdict is still out as to the answer to your question.

The original Maha 204F is a PROVEN success with many die hard followers and users.

The newest Maha 401FS lacks the conditioning feature which many like, but it supposedly uses a newer (??? could be a word gimmick) way of charging the batteries and does each one separately.

I purchased one as soon as they came out (the 401FS) 1/03, and have been through three different ones, all with the same problem; have also read others who have this problem. The last new one (exchanged with no problem) worked fine three times and then went back to the same problem.

That problem is: fast or cool, sometimes 3 of the batteries and sometimes two of the batteries will charge within a few minutes of each other and the last one(s) take about one hour or a little longer to finish. And no, it is not the battery, I have tried it with several different sets (Maha's Powerex, Energizer, Sanyo, Rayovac, etc.) and they will always end up the same way.

I so bad wanted this to work, because I like the idea of individual battery attention and the cooler charging. But alas, it has not, and so for now I am happy with the Lightning Pack 4000N; it always charges consistently, cooly, and correctly. Batteries go a long time with the LP also. Another good one I have ( charges only 2 at a time) and is a very good charger is the NEXcell 20FC. It charges much warmer (but not hot) than the LP4000N, I believe these two (LP & NEXcell) are similar in the way they charge.

So the only way you may be able to answer your own question for now would be to buy the 204F and the 401FS and compare them, or just decide which one (feature wise) you like better and go with that. And if you get the 401FS maybe you will get one that does not do what the three I have had do.

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:32 PM   #3

I have the C401FS and its been great for a long time. But after reading Steven H's comment I can say that mine has the same problem. It only started showing it recently, though. One of the batteries says it isn't charged, but the others do. Weird. I have a digital multi-meter. The next time it claims that I should check the charges on all the batteries.

In general, I would only recommend a charger that has an independent circuit for each battery. I can not guarrenty that each battery has been used the same amount (they have, but I'm sure I'll mess it up at some time) and that way I don't have to worry about damaging one of the batteries. To me, it isn't worth the worry, so I just get one that can handle any number of batteries and I move on.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 8:50 PM   #4

ever hear this term: There's one in every crowd.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 2:24 AM   #5

I was having this predicament a year or so back. I ended up getting the 204, in fact it probably cost me more to buy than a 401 (bought from US ebay seller, no distributor in Oceania).

Maha says conditioning is not necessary with the 401 because it uses negative flex pulsing or some other marketing term, but to me it smelt of cost savings... so I went with the earlier "tried and true" model.

Individual cell charging is a worthy feature however (despite the disappointing reports from folks in this thread), that the 204 lacks (it charges in pairs). Since I go through my cells 4 at a time, it has not been an issue so far - however in the near future I do intend to buy an external flash for my camera and this particular model has a quick recycling fifth battery - which would be a hassle to charge on the old 204, so I might have to upgrade chargers then.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:33 PM   #6
Administrator

Looks like maybe the brand new Maha MH-204W is the perfect charger!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ma..._c204w_pr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_...ies.html#c204w

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:16 PM   #7

Steve,

Thanks for the head up preview of this new Maha charger. I just read the pdf manual for this charger and it says: "Do not use one-hour quick charge on any battery rated under 2000 mah (Charging only 2 AA batteries)."

Just something for those interested in this charger to be aware of. And it is a two bank charger (2 or 4) at a time, not individual as their 401FS. This new Maha charger (IMHO) confirms the excellency of the Lighting Pack 4000N.

Good Day,

Steven:-)
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:05 PM   #8

Not one battery per bank? I will never understand that. I wouldn't buy one without all in their own bank.

Silly. I've had by 204FS for almost a year now and its only acted up one or twice. 4 (in theory) equivalently depeleted batteries charged at different rates. But they did go all green eventually. Don't know why.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:51 AM   #9

This new 204W model only offers 1 thing on top of the old 204F, besides slightly larger overall dimensions - that being flexible AC voltage input. I see no new features on top of what the 204F has. It's still a twin bank charger - this is its weakest point IMO. However this still compares favourably with chargers from other makers that charge all cells in a single bank.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:02 PM   #10

Hum, I wish I found this thread before I ordered a Maha C401FS last week. I don't mind too much if it charges batteries at different rates, I would expect as much with variations in battery tolerances, but if the problem lies within Maha's circuitry I don't know why Steves-digicams doesn't mention this. As a matter of fact I haven't read this possible problem in any "official" review of this product. Very disappointing.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote