Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 22, 2004, 8:33 AM   #1

I've recently gotten into digital cameras and dusted off some new NEXcell 1600Mah NiMH AA batteries I'd bought a few years ago but never used. Popped 'em into their trickle charger and low & behold they won't hold a charge! I've tried charging them in my Rayovac AA NiMH charger & their trickle charger several times and still no significant improvement. Are these batteries dead or am I doing something wrong? TIA!...

Tomac
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2004, 12:47 AM   #2
Administrator

NiMH cells can go totally dead if they are not charged and used regularly. I have seen exactly what you are describing happen here with some new (unopened) batteries that were about two years old.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:48 AM   #3

steve wrote:
Quote:
NiMH cells can go totally dead if they are not charged and used regularly. I have seen exactly what you are describing happen here with some new (unopened) batteries that were about two years old.

Shucks and other comments, I guess that's what happened. Oh well (sigh...)

Tomac
Old May 23, 2004, 9:02 AM   #4

I found some old 850mAh NiCDs and 1250mAh NiMH's that I hadn't used in a long time. Voltage on them ranged from negative a few millivolts on the nicads to about 2/3 of a volt on the hydrites.
Popped them in the charger and they appeared to take a charge. Haven't used them yet though.... seeing as I have around 30 or so 1800's, 4 2000s, and 8 2300s (maybe more) I don't know if I ever will. Any suggestions on what the old ones might still be good for?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 10:07 AM   #5

My old dead ones appear good enough for light use in the TV remote but won't even stand the drain of a small single-battery quartz clock.

Tomac
Old May 23, 2004, 2:41 PM   #6
Administrator

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Any suggestions on what the old ones might still be good for?

Are you into fishing, if so they'd probably make a good sinker :lol:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7

As has been stated, rechargable batteries will discharge when stored. The higher the temperature at which they are stored the quicker they discharge. If they discharge too much they can reverse polarity and in my experience such batteries are difficult or impossible to bring back by recharging. You will get the best life from batteries that are regularly used and recharged. If you have a number of spare batteries always followafirst charged firstused policy.When your camera orother device indicates that the batteries are low, remove them at thattime and recharge them. Don't leave them in the device for later recharging. Many devices still draw a small amount of current even when the power switch is off.This could be enough over a period of time to damage the dischargedbatteries beyond recovery.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 10:00 PM   #8

I've been noticing my 2200mAh AA's have been not giving as much life as they could. I've run them for about 1400 pictures, charging them after every 100, or so photo's. I can understand that charging them the first few times sets the charge memory(my own description), but lately they are taking longer to charge, and lasting a shorter amount of time.

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote