Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 31, 2004, 11:45 PM   #1

I am deciding between buying a used Canon G1 and a new Canon A70. I believe the Canon A70 uses rechargeable AA's, and the G1 has some sort of other battery. In terms of battery life, am I much worse to go with the A70? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
lily08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:34 AM   #2
blr

I believe the G1 uses a LiIon battery as compared to a 4 AA cells on the A70. I don't have specs on the two in terms of power consumption, but IMO all else equal, you'll be better off with a camera that takes standard cells(A70 in your case). First of all, LiIon batteries have a lifetime of 2-4 years irregardless of use. The lithium inside the cells is slowly oxidised, which causes the battery to loose capacity . G1 is quite an old model, so the chances are that the original battery is at the end of its life. Second, AA rechargeable NiMH cells can be bought much cheaper than LiIon ones and in most cases can be recharged faster. Third, in a case of emergency, you can always switch to alkaline cells that are available everywhere. They won't last very long but this is better than nothing. With LiIon batteries you should either have a spare one (costs 40-60 Euro) or once the battery in the camera is dead you have to stop shooting and recharge.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 5:02 PM   #3

thanks very much, this is really helpful!
lily08 is offline   Reply With Quote