Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:43 AM   #1

Looking at two of the treads below it seems that the Maha C401 FS may have a problem with charging batteries at different speeds. However, this may have just been due to to charging the batteries in different chargers, thus affecting how they charge (I was very glad to learn this little tidbit).

What are your thoughts about the C401FS, (in the above mentioned way, but just with any thoughts you may have)? The individual cell feature is very nice, but I don't want to be buying something that will continually need replaced.

I am not so much looking for comparisons directly to other chargers (as this is already available)as just your thoughts on the 401.

Thank you,

Rob
rgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:35 AM   #2

Rob let me start by saying first of all that I do not have any personal or financial interest in either of the companies whose chargers I have commented on. I am just a very avid advanced amateur photographer who looks for the best in what I can afford and use; also I like to share and pass one my experiences with the others to be of help. I have learned much from others also on these fourms.

It has been my findings that the Maha 401FS is a good charger but not twice the price that good. I am comparing a set of batteries in it again (and staying with the Maha with this set, Powerex) to see if it was indeed a problem with using different types of chargers with the same set of batteries. My last charge on these Powerex's (being two in a row) was favorable, in that they did charge all within a little over 5 and a half hours on cool within minutes of each other.

What I am seeing by comparing all of these different types of chargers is if the batteries are charged up alright (as stated by the charger being used) there is not really that much of a difference in the useable charge of the batteries (given that they are of the same are close mah's).

So what it is coming down to now is value, what price are you paying, and are you buying in to market hype language as to what "new", etc. charging method is being used (not that there could be a newer better way coming). In my opinion the Lightning Pack 4000N is one of the better values chargers one can buy online, but then again it is a 2 or 4 bank charger as opposed to the Maha 401FS single bank charger (and yes I like the idea of the single bank charger giving each battery individual attention).

If the single bank is what you want, then, Yes, the Maha 401 FS is a good charger; now their customer tech service department is another matter.

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3

Thank you much Steven. Your insights (scattered over a few different topics) have been very helpful. really very helpful.

I am editing this message. I had questions, but I have just found the answers so I am deleting them.

I will probably buy from the sight connected to the review (Assuming I buy), but just to compare, are there any other places that carry this charger than Ripvan? I looked on Yahoo, shopping.com and newegg and came up empty (but with knowledge on where to look if going hiking in a high lightening area .

Thanks again,

Rob

Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:06 PM   #4

If it is the Lightning Pack 4000N that you want to buy then http://www.ripvan100.com is where I have purchased them from (along with some Sanyo batteries). It is a very good price at 19.95 (as of 6/03/2004) plus shipping (for me 5.50 USPS). The Maha 401 FS comes in at about 37.97 at http://www.thomasdistributing.com and 6.17 shipping.

Here is another site that sells the Lightning Pack 4000N under another name(V4000 @ $14.50 @ 6.85 USPS), and one similar (V8000), except it has the car cord and ac adapter, http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=505

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:24 PM   #5

Thank you Steven,

I order the LP 4000 yesterday evening from Ripvan. It seems perfect for my needs, it has good battery charging and also has compactness and the ability to use 110-220 on its side. (I live in China and travel to the States so these two added bonuses are nice.)

Thank you again for your help.

Rob
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:10 PM   #6

rgoll

what do you mean by "charging batteries at different speeds"? Since it has separate charging circuits for each battery I would think it is designed for having batteries at different charge levels (or capacities.)

People might find this link interesting.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Its not exactly what you're talking about, but its one of those web sites that shouldn't be missed if you're interested in batteries. It does touch briefly on chargers as well.

I have the C401FS and I have been very happy with it. I keep my batteries in sets of 4 (always use them in my flash) and never mix them. I only once (maybe twice) in about a year had one battery charge slower than the rest. But it did eventually light green as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:05 PM   #7

I believe this Maha might also come with a lifetime warranty - so customer service dept issues aside, it should serve you well.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote