Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 5, 2004, 7:59 AM   #1

I'm thinking of getting a battery charger with batteries next week. Has anyone used this one shown in the link. http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=87047

Are they any good or can anyone recommend anything better in the UK. Thanks for your help. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:50 AM   #2

Seems a bit dear to me.

I bought some 2300mAh from ebay for £3.95 a pack of 4 and the charger can be found here http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=9571and there even some reviews.

Good hunting.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks Cold Snail, the one you linked to looks different is it just a new design. The Argos price does seem a bit dear as you said. I might look round some of the smaller electrical shops in town before i decide, they'll probably be cheaper in there. Are the Unirossas fast as they say at charging, they say 2 hours are they really that quick. Thanks again. :-)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:59 AM   #4

My camera has it's own charger but I am thinking of a faster AA charger as I've just got a flash gun.

I think the 7day deal is good as it comes with a car charger (handy for days out) and if you order anything from them the postage is only £1.95 for the whole order.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:35 AM   #5
blr

Jackrussell, if you can get Lenmar products in the UK have a look at the Lenmar Mach1 Gamma charger. I recently bought one to replace a Kodak charger as my portable charger and I'm very impressed with it. It charges 4 high capacity AA cells in just over an hour (65-70 min) and most importantly it does so without overheating the cells. All other one hour chargers I've seen and tried heated the cells in some cases so badly that I could barely touch them after charging. In some cases the whole charger is so hot that I wonder if it is fire safe. The Lenmar keeps them just above room temperature and the charger itself is cool.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:37 PM   #6

We got three packets of 2300 NiMh from ebay for the price of one packet elsewhere and we've only ever needed to use two sets. The charger came from www.greenweld.co.uk and charges ni-cad and NiMh.
Argos is convenient but expensive. You could try www.jessops.com who aren't the cheapest (although I must confess I've not checked out their batteries) but are a reputable company and have lots of high street stores. Then there is www.amazon.co.uk but they don't sell the powerful NiMh. Or at least didn't when I last checked.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:34 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice but i got the Uniross from Argos, as you say a bit expensive but it's only down the road. :-)
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:32 PM   #8

Hey jackrussel check out http://www.maplin.co.uk/

productcode L33AL

I have had one of these for about 6 months and can't fault it, it also can charge 1 - 4 cells (usefull for all the kids toys that only take 3 batteries.

I belive argos have a 14 day return policy so you can always get your money back next week.

Tim
Oly C4000

Canon EOS 50e

http://tim-clay.fotopic.net/
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:56 AM   #9
TC3

I got the new Uniross Sprint charger which has universal voltage and car adaptor plus 4 2300mah batteries. Sells in Argos for 40 but i paid 20 on e bay...four extra batts only cost me 7 quid. Bargain price so take back what you got in Argos and go do the deal i did on e bay with MDS Battery Ltd
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:14 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. I got the one i linked to in my first post from Argos which is round the corner from my house. It had some sort of fault because it was only charging the batteries for about twenty minutes. I took it back a few days ago and got the one TC3 has with the 2300mah batteries. I got it from Argos for £40 which is a bit dear but if anything goes wrong with itI only need to nip round the corner to get it sorted. So far it seems to be working fine. When i took the other one back to Argos they never even looked at it, just changed it no questions asked. :-)