Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:15 AM   #1

Default Rayovac 1800 mah NIMH batteries

I bought a set of the Rayovac 1800 mah NIMN batteries after reading about great the NIMH batteries are. I was skeptical because I had used the Alkaline rechargeables before and was not impressed. I bought the $10 charger and a set of batteries ($12). I let them charge overnight, it takes a long time with this charger, and ran a test the next day. I took 800 pictures and 20 movie strips with my Olympus C4040 and the batteries were still going. I gave up. I not sure how many pictures the batteries will take but 800 plus is enough for me. Which is best of the chargers? Is the slow charger better than the rapid charger?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:23 AM   #2
NHL

Rayovac also makes one of the best 1hr fast charger! You can get it from Wal-Mart or Target... After a fast charge is completde, a quick charger becomes a slow charger!

[Edited on 9-14-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 2:32 PM   #3

Default I use the Maha c204

it takes 3 hours compared to rayovacs one but it has a conditioning feature and won't overheat the batteries like the rayovac does. The below article is a battery study and the author also uses a couple of chargers.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 3:15 PM   #4

Default Batteries

I am looking at Maha charges that Steve describes. I first wanted to see if these batteries really worked. Thanks for the additional info.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 1:44 PM   #5

Default Maha battery charger

I ordered the battery charger MAHA c340 thanks for the input.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:01 AM   #6

Default Maha C340

Great battery charger. Like the conditioning charge capability.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:34 PM   #7

If the batt you use is the Nicad batt, then I would agree that the re-conditioning charger would help to achieve the maximum charge, NimH doesn't have the memory problem, re-conditioning charge or condition charge really make the difference? I doubt it will, I think it just a marketing strategy to some company products...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 4:20 PM   #8

Does the rayovac quick charger really overheat the batteries, or could it be due to a defective charger? What does overheating do to the batteries?

Erica
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 9:33 PM   #9

Default NIMH batteries

NiCad batteries should be conditioned everytime you charge them. You can either condition them through a charger like the MAHA C204 or drain the batteries through use. NIMH batteries do not need to be reconditioned after ever use but the MAHA C304 charger recommends that they should be conditioned charge every 5th or 6th charging. NIMH batteries will not fully charge unless they are conditioned occassionaly. Rayovac web page states "The batteries will get hot during charging but will cool quickly after recharging. This is a normal occurrence and no cause for concern. The unit is equipped with a sensor that will shut off the unit if it gets too hot. This built-in safety feature prevents overheating."
Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:04 AM   #10

Sounds like the RayoVac charger doesn't monitor actual battery temperature then? Rather it assumes the batteries can get hot.

I wonder if batteries will last as long and give the same specified charge/discharge life?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote