Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1

I'm new to digicams--just got the Canon above and would like to get the most battery life possible. Should I go with the high capacity NiMH? Is there a high capacity RCR-V3 that will fit my camera? Is there any consensus on chargers and battery brand names? What's the best e-tailer for these needs?

So many questions, so much ignorance! I will learn. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
piperlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:37 AM   #2
blr

High capaicity NiMH is definately the way to go if your camera takes AA-sized cells. I've had great results over the years with Sanyo cells. Their cells are very consistent and usually have higher actual capacity than other brands with the same nameplate capacity rating. Sanyo cells are also branded under the Kodak brand, among others. I have 4 2100mAh Kodak AA cells that work great in my Olympus C5050.

About the charger, I use a Lenmar Mach1 gamma 1 hour charger. Charges the cells in 60-70 min from flat . The best thing about it is that it is not only fast but also safe for the batteries . While other 1 hour chargers heat up the cells (in some cases quite badly) the Lenmar keeps them at just above room temperature, quite remarkable really.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3

blr

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward NiMH because they are so readily available and cost effective. I've heard that some chargers now come with fans to cool the batteries--seems like a good idea and should extend the useful life of the cells. I'll definately check out the Sanyo cells.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:47 PM   #4
Administrator

Everything you ever wanted to know about NiMH batteries and chargers is here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:11 AM   #5
blr

piperlarry wrote:
Quote:
blr

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward NiMH because they are so readily available and cost effective. I've heard that some chargers now come with fans to cool the batteries--seems like a good idea and should extend the useful life of the cells. I'll definately check out the Sanyo cells.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. The Lenmar Mach1 uses a fan but it cools the charger cirquits rather than the cells. It is very quiet, but still keep this in mind if you plan to use it an a room while sleeping. I have no problems but more sensitive people may have problems falling asleep
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:10 PM   #6

Steve

I did read your reviews of batteries and power cells and all the information really helped, but my most basic question has been answered with the camera's arrival a few minutes ago. I don't see any way, considering the battery compartment configuration, to use RCR-V3 rechargeables--so I won't! No big deal.

Thanks again for the help. I will continue to seek advice, tips and general info on your most intuitive and informative site.