Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1

Ok... here's the charger I'm using right now:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=23%2D422

it has a built-in timer so I don't think it's charging the batteries fully. the manual says AA charge is 770mAh with a timer cutoff of 150 minutes (with a little margin of error).

Among the batteries I'm using are: a few AAA size (750mAh and 800mAh sizes) (I forget the charge current on these but the timer's about the same), and a bunch of AA size batteries including 1800mAh duracell (the white ones), 2000mAh Panasonic, and 2300mAh Lenmar NoMem Pro.

I'd like a charger that could charge them within a few hours without cooking them... basically fast enough so that when I have my S1IS constantly on recording / playing 640x480f 30fps movies on my microdrive that I got recently, assuming I turn the camera on before I put the batteries in the charger, and the camera is never turned off in this time, the batteries will be fully charged before I get the low battery icon. Also, I'd like to be able to charge at least 8 at a time, preferably 10, 12, or even 16, and be able to charge different sizes independently of each other.

Also, I have a 4 D-cell Mag flashlight that I'd like to possibly use Rechargeable Alkalines in (I don't want NiMH's because of the self-discharge that they have). What's a good price and place to get high capacity rechargeable alkaline D batteries, and how do they compare with normal alkalines as far as run time, and number of charge cycles vs the price?
Or would I be able to stick 4 11000mAh D NiMH batteries in my flashlight in, say, July, then decide in December that I need to use the flashlight, turn it on, and it will run for several hours?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:12 AM   #2
blr

Hi.

I haven't seen a fast charger that takes such a large amounts of cells. I doubt that anybody makes them. What you can do with the one you have is to unplug and replug the charger after the timer has cut off. This will reset the timer and charging will begin again. Once the cells are fully charged the peak voltage detection will shut down the charger and your cells will be fully charged. It would take about 3 hours though.

About rechargeable alkalines, I simply don't care about them. The self discharge of MiMH is there but it's not that bad really and the rechargeable alkalines are quite expensive and have a short cycle life. My advice is to just get some D sized NiMH cells. If you remember to top them off once every couple of months they'll be fine or just run your flashlight on normal alkalines
Sorry, not very encouraging answer, hope it helps
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:51 AM   #3

I would suggest you buy a good AA nimh battery charger (Maha 401FS or Lenmar Mach1 www.thomasdistributing.com or Lightning Pack 4000N www.ripvan100.com ). With the Maha or LightningPack you can always have a set in the charger ready to go, when they are finished just leave them in because they automatically go into a safe trickle charge mode.

As for the flashlights I would just stay with alkaline batteries, they will do better in service than nimh's. The alkaline will hold a charge better and longer. If you insist on nimh for the flashlight you will be charging them about every other day (or more) to be sure the flashlight will work when needed.

Good Day,

Steven:-)
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:35 PM   #4
blr

Steven H wrote:
Quote:
I would suggest you buy a good AA nimh battery charger (Maha 401FS or Lenmar Mach1 http://www.thomasdistributing.com or Lightning Pack 4000N http://www.ripvan100.com ). With the Maha or LightningPack you can always have a set in the charger ready to go, when they are finished just leave them in because they automatically go into a safe trickle charge mode.

As for the flashlights I would just stay with alkaline batteries, they will do better in service than nimh's. The alkaline will hold a charge better and longer. If you insist on nimh for the flashlight you will be charging them about every other day (or more) to be sure the flashlight will work when needed.

Good Day,

Steven:-)
Steven H, I agree about the AA charger suggestion, but really the self discharge of NiMH cells isn't really that bad to require charging every other day, as you suggest about the flashlight issue. I use AA NiMH cells in my Maglite and they're fine for more than two months after charging.Surely going to rechargeable D-sized cells will add to the cost of the charger, since fast chargers that work with larger cells are expensive. I'd say it all depends on how much the flashlight is used. If only occasionally then yes stay with single use cells, if you use it daily NiMH will be more economical and better for the environment too.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 2:11 PM   #5
Administrator

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_...s.html#ansmann

The Ansmann Deluxe "Energy 16" may be the last charger that you'll ever need. It has a total of ten charging positions; six for AAA, AA, C or D size cells and four for 9V cells. The six top positions can handle two AAA or two AA cells or one each of the larger C or D cells. It can charge both NiMH and the older NiCd chemistry batteries at the same time. It analyzes before charging to identify "bad" cells and will display each cell's current charge level with a green, yellow or red LED. Before charging it automatically refreshes and then thoroughly charges each cell independantly. Charging stops once the cell is fully replenished. Operates worldwide on 100-240V 50-60Hz AC.

The "Energy 16" charger retails for $124.97. The smaller but similar "Energy 8" charger retails for $84.97, it has four AAA/AA/C/D and two 9V positions.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote