Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:50 PM   #1

I have an old Palm 3x i need to start using again and it goes through AAA battries like they are free even when it's turned off it seams to drain them. I'm looking into NiHm AAA and was wondering how well they work with Palms? Also how are the new D,C,9volt NiHm battries cause i have portable TVs that use these sizes bit 9 to 10 battries a tv.
dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:15 AM   #2
blr

I use NiMH AAA with my palm M100. It works fine. If I remember correctly, there was a setting burried somewhere in the system that adjusts the battery meter to show the remaining battery level accurately with NiMH, but even without it it should work fine.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:48 PM   #3

Quote:
I have an old Palm 3x i need to start using again and it goes through AAA battries like they are free even when it's turned off it seams to drain them. I'm looking into NiHm AAA and was wondering how well they work with Palms?
Can't speak to the IIIx battery consumption, but the Palm IIIxe gives me about 2.5 months of service on alkaline cells. I've been using my IIIXe for almost 5 years now, synchronizing around 2 times daily, alarms set for meetings which go off at least 4 times daily.

I tried using some 750 mAh NiMh batts that I use on my Sony U20, but got less than one month service for the same usage pattern. My guess is that the combination of the lower terminal voltage of the NiMh batts (1.2 -v- 1.5) combined with the relatively high self discharge rate make this type of battery a poor choice for a low drain appliance like the Palm IIIxe.

For me, alkalines are still the best choice for the Palm.

As for the battery monitor control setting; as I recall there is (was) a 'hack' by a German Shareware/Freeware author that provided the ability to set the battery type. I didn't install the 'hack', so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

There is no provision for selecting battery type built into the Palm OS (v3.5.3).
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote