Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:06 PM   #1

Default HELP!!! - Charging Rechargeable Batteries

I have a (4 AA NiMH) charger for my digital camera. The specs read (Input: AC 120V, 60 Hz, 8W and Output DC 1.2V, 650mAh X 4). I damaged the charger while on vacation so am looking for a replacement.

I have purchased two different models of quick chargers (2hrs) and can't get them to fully charge the batteries even though the light comes on saying they are done. It seems like they charge more fully if I charge them overnight. The specs on the new chargers read (Input: AC 120 - 240V, 60 Hz and Output: DC 1.35V Max. 400mAh) and (Input: AC 110V, 60 Hz and Output: DC 1.35V Max. 400mAh) respectively. It appears to me that the old charger puts out 2600mAh (650x4). While the new ones only put out 400mAh, therefore will it take 6+ the amount of time for them to charge to the same level (12+ hrs)??? HELP!!!!

Finally, does the AC 120-240V mean that the charger can automatically be used at both voltage levels?? Thanks.
twolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:17 PM   #2

yes voltage auto switch. this link will show you some of the finest chargers and has alot of info.
Gary

http://thomas-distributing.com/quest-q2-charger-kit.htm
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 1:38 PM   #3

Default Voltage Switch!

Gary, thanks for your reply about the voltage switch.

Can yiou address my main question about charger output?
Old Sep 20, 2002, 2:02 PM   #4

Default Battery Charger

The Maha C204 is review by Steve under Digi Cam Accessory and then look under the battery link.

It will condition batteries as well as charge them. The conditioning cycle will provide you with a full charge when it is finished.

The charging time can be calculated by taking the rating of the battery (1600mah) and dividing it by the charging rate of the charger plus about 20%. I found this formual at one of the web sites when I was researching battery chargers.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 2:07 PM   #5

twolfe,
check this link, should answer any more ???

Gary

http://www.nimhbattery.com/maha-educate-batteries.htm
Old Sep 20, 2002, 3:44 PM   #6

I think you need a new set of batteries, your current batteries didn't hold the full charge which means it almost get to the maximum capacity if its life cycle, it doesn't matter if you want to charge them longer, it still can hold any more charge. The batt condtion or recondition works best with nicad batt but not with nimh, because nimh doesn't have the memory effects. You can try to charge your batteries few more times, but I doubt that you get a better result. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 4:01 PM   #7

Default HELP! - Caluclating charging times!!

tuanokc,

I think you missed my point. The 2 chargers that I purchased came with batteries and they did fully charge after charging overnight.

The question is . . . . how do you calculate charging time?

I have seen claims for the Maha C204F Charger (Output: 500mAh). It comes with 4 - 1700mAh batteries. Therefore based on the formula suggested above (1700/500 + 20%) the charging time would be 4+ hrs, not 160 minutes (2.6 hrs) they report!!!!!

Note that the Maha charger puts out 12V @500mAh. not the normal 1.2.-1.4V. This must have something to do with it. It must have the effect of much higher current flow.

HELP!!
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:48 PM   #8

12V .5A is the output of the A/c adaptor that plugs into the 204. Got mine last week, w/ 1800mAh batteries.
Gary
Old Sep 25, 2002, 3:28 PM   #9

Sorry, I misread your post, if your batt has a high mah rating such as 1850mah, It will take more time to charge since it will hold more charge. I don't think the formula that someone posted here is correct those...I have the Enegizer charger with the same output (about), but it charges my AA 1850mah within 1 hour, it also charges other lower mah batt faster than 1 hour.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:50 PM   #10

Default fast charger

most fast chargers will only charge the batteries to 80-90% capacity and then switches to the trickle mode. This is done so the charger will not overcharge and overheat the batteries.
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote