Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:33 AM   #1

Once you charge a set of NiMh batteries, how long should they last just being kept in a camera bag etc?

Thanks Steve
StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2

Hi steve,

Usually, Regchargable batteres, no matter what brand or mAH rating, they drain about 1 to 5% daily. It also depends on the weather and tempature, they probably won't drain as fast in cool or cold tempatures.

Hope this helps! :-)
blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:27 PM   #3

StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:39 AM   #4

Ni-MH batteries will lose most of their charge in cold temperatures. I had two sets of Ni-MH batteries freshly charged and stored in my camera bag, driving from a cool 65 degrees in West Yellowstone, to a freezing 28 degrees at the west summit of Shoshone National Forest (~11,000 ft). I went outside my car for a mere 3-6 minutes, and my camera, then an Olympus E-10, cutoff power due to low battery. Went back to the car and got the first spare set, same thing happened. Got 4 or 5 shots before the camera shut down. Got the second spare set, same story. So I reached for my emergency non-rechargeable lithium CR-V3's and my problem was solved. This was not a case of defective batteries, rather the nature of the Ni-MH technology. In warm weather I was able to take hundreds of shots with the same batteries. The rate of discharge for Ni-MH is much greter than Li-Ion. I can leave a fully charged Li-Ion battery in my camera bag for 3-4 months without charging and when I finally need it again its charge will still be in the 80-90% of what it was before. That was the case with a DPS-9000 battery pack I had. Ni-MH batteries must be charged and then used as soon as possible, otherwise if left alone will gradually but quickly lose charge in the space of days, not months. That's my beef with Ni-MH batteries, so I use it only in my flashes now.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:04 AM   #5
Administrator

Gee, this cold temperature vs NiMH batteries thing is not much ofa problem here in Florida :lol:

I always leave my NiMH on "hot standby" on my Maha charger until just before I need them. They do suffer from air discharge when just sitting. Li-ion technology is much better but unfortunately due to chemistry they cannot make a 1.2-1.5V cell to replace the AA type batteries. The one-use photo lithium AA's are always your best bet in cold weather or whenever you need to leave a camera in the bag for long periods of nonuse. The photo lithium batteries are very expensive but you can depend on them to deliver when needed. Otherwise I'll use my economical and rechargeable NiMH batteries any day.

Check out this page for lots of NiMH FAQ's:

http://4gdo.com/batfaq.htm

It would be nice if all cameras that used 2 or 4 AA type were designed to accept the new CR-V3 batteries, they're now available in both one-use and rechargeable types. Unfortunately the shape of the battery holder must be oval to accomodate the CR-V3 and manycameras havejust two or four round cylindersto hold theAA type cells.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:20 PM   #6

I like Ni-MH for use in my flashes, and in "normal" temperatures will be just fine in cameras. Heck, I even try to get my friends to switch from using alkalines in their flashes to using Ni-MH instead... but I get excuses like they aren't as good or reliable as alkaline. Well, it's their money :-)
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:33 AM   #7
blr

NiMH will self discharge for 2 to 3 months depending on storage temperature. They suffer in extremely cold weather but fully recover as soon as warmed up to room temperature. You can store a charged set in the fridge for about 5-6 months, just warm them up slowly before use. Alternatively just give them a top-off charge about once a month.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:31 AM   #8

If you intend to store NiMH cells for a long time, store them 40% charged to maximise their life.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
The most comprehensive site on batteries of all chemistries. Charging, discharging, storing andcaring for your cells. More than any sane person needs to know IMHO.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote