Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:12 AM   #1

I just found out that Rechargeable CR123A batteries are now available. This is a BIG plus for NIkon flash users and was one of the cons many shooters listed when consideringa flash unit purchase.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:03 AM   #2

They've been available for a few years that I know of... they are IMHO unsatisfactory performers for their asking price. Having about 1/3 the capacity of primaries between charges, plus the main reason for using Lithium CR123s are for their high current drain ability, which the rechargeables can barely match.

Better off buying from Surefire.com (cheapest source I know of), a dozen for $US15.

NB: Most of their performance inadequacies were for use in tactical illumination tools (counting primary battery life in minutes!), but I would assume it's mostly applicable to photographic strobes as well.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:31 PM   #3
Administrator

I would certaily consider them. To quote Steve:

Quote:
These Li-ion batteries offer greater power output than NiMH rechargeables, hold a charge for a longer period of time, perform better in lower temperatures and they're also lighter in weight.

Unlike the older (non-Rechargeable) CR-V3 batteries, these new batteries seem to offer advantages, and it looks like their output is as good as the very best NiMH batteries, too. At the end of last year, Steve was reviewing Rechargeable CR-V3 batteries with 2300mAh capacity, so you may be able to find even higher capacity batteries now.

See more about them at the bottom of this page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Edit: Open Mouth, Insert Foot. I thought you meant CR-V3, versus CR123. Disregard above (unless someone makes a decent, high capacity rechargeable battery in this size, too.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:08 PM   #4

Several years ago I asked in a Flashlight forum that I belong to why there were no rechargable 123s for 123 powered high end flashlights. These flashlights are sometimes in the $300.00 range. I paid $600 for a small single 123 powered flashlight.

The reply I got was that there was not enough interest to get the battery makers to make any. I started calling companies to try and get protected 123 batteries made. I managed to get bare cells made but they were to dangerous for our applications so I rejected them and started working on getting them to make me protected cells.

The cells that I rejected were picked up by someone else and you see them out there now for sale.

I have gone through several beta test runs of rechargable 123 cells on the Flashlight forum. I think I now have a good flashlight battery but only for regulated high performance led lights in the high dollar range. The problem with these are that they are 3.7volt nominal and 4.2 volts off of the charger, they are to intense for many CR123 powered products.

While doing this work I was contacted by another company and work on 3volt rechargables. I have these now and a second generation of these is coming soon.

I have sent an email to this forum asking about giving a set for review and about advertising.

I am selling rechargable 123s in 3.7v and 3v nominal formats and am soon looking for brick and mortar dealers.

I don't know the rules on this forum yet so I wont tell you how to get them from me until I am familiar with doing business here.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have sent an e-mail to learn how to put an ad on the site.

JonSidneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:35 PM   #5

jon, i agree...

i have a surefire a2, and it takes cr123's, and the prices are crazy for flashlight bateries!!

i used to have a nikonsb-50dx, whick took cr123's and i had to get new batteries every couple days, so i switched to the sb-80dx, and it takes double a's....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:41 PM   #6

The A2 is a really nice light but from Surefire I prefer the L4 and the U2. It is nice to have battery compatibility with your camera and light.
JonSidneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:55 AM   #7

JonSidney, when you have these batteries to market, I'd certainly be interested in trying them. I suspect I know what flashlight form you mentioned, I used to be a member of that, but ticked off the admins and got banned many moons ago, so haven't kept up with developments in that scene since. :-)

What's the voltage curve like with the 2nd gen? I've only got incandescents, so any fluctuation would lead to bad thing™ happening...
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:07 PM   #8

I'm using the ZukZ CR-V3 rechargeables that cost $14.00 for the battery or about $25 including a charger. Available on amazon.com

Highly recommend the CR-V3 over rechargeable AA's if your camera or flash can use them.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:43 PM   #9

I for one would be very interested in rechargeable 3V CR123A's as I have just bought a Nikon SB-50DX and am loath to try out the 3.7V ones for fear of killing the flash !

Please keep us informed...!

Bane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:12 PM   #10

Delkin's has announced the intro of CR123A that is a rechargeable Lithium Ion version of the disposable CR123. The Rechargeable CR123A Kits comes complete with a charger and battery and will work with a variety of cameras.

Here is link to product description.

http://www.delkin.com/pdf/product_docs/rcr_123a.pdf

batts wont be till end of this month.

I would think Delkin is a name that can be trusted.

At least I can save some money on batts for my Nikon D70 and Fuji S2. Is anyone aware of or can recommend a rechargeable CR123A for use with these cameras?

James T is offline   Reply With Quote