Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:55 AM   #1

I have the opportunity to acquire a Minolta G400 less the usb connector and the charger. Any idea of where to get those items on the most cost effective basis( compatables ok) would be appreciated. Also, best place for compatable batteries?

kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:26 AM   #2
Administrator

I posted a reply to your query inthe Konica-Minolta forum here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:09 PM   #3

Thanks very much. I read with interest your commentary on g500 vs. g400. It's nice to have the availabily of knowing commentary on line. Accordingly, I passed up the g400 , less parts, that I was going to get. Instead , I got another g400 to try out, but only in the expectation that I was probably going to be persuaded by your commentary to get a G500. ( I also need to be talked out of a "XT-XT-X31-X50".
A big factor is the video out on the G500, because I travel a lot out of the USA and computers are not always easily available - easy to just spit it out a tv to review some shots taken during the day. Also,without a copier available, I can take quick pictures of documents, and review them later on on a tv.
Could you point me to some other G500 vs. G400 upside/downside commentary. I read about the weak flash,etc., and I would like to try to learn more.
Thanks in advance.
Kracken
kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:23 PM   #4
Administrator

I hate to tell you, but the G500 does not have video out.

If someone told you it does, they are mistaken.

Here are some of the major differences:

G400:

Longer movies (although still at a low resolution and frame rate).

Thinner (1 inch thick versus the G500's 1.2 inches) and about 2 ounces lighter.

Faster Startup (if you really care about the difference betwee 0.7 and 1.3 seconds). Both are much faster than most other cameras

High Speed Continuous Mode (but limited to a 3 shot burst). If you want to continue shooting without waiting for buffers to flush between bursts, you'll need to use Standard Continous Mode instead (settable via the menus).

The G400 Standard Continuous Mode of 1 photo every 1.1 seconds, is slightly faster than the G500's Continuous Mode of 1 photo every 1.27 seconds (but the file sizes from the 4MP model are slightly smaller, too; accounting for the slight increase in speed).

The G400 has Aperture Priority (but limited to two aperture choices, which vary depending on the amount of zoom used).

Newly designed Menu System that some users may prefer.

Scene Modes (but of limited value because of the aperture limitation of the camera, and the greater depth of field you'll have from a camera using a smaller sensor)

New Hybrid Focus System, reported to be extremely fast in good light, but unreliable in low light

Wider Wide Angle Setting (34mm, versus the G500's 39mm)

Focus and Exposure Bracketing

Higher Capacity Battery (860mAh versus the G500's 820mAh); but you can use the higher capacity battery in the G500, too.

G500:

The G500 uses a larger, less dense 5MP 1/1.8" CCD, compared to the G400's smaller, denser 4MP 1/2.5" CCD.

The G500 has a much greater rated flash range compared to the G400, which could increase it's useability at indoor parties, family gatherings, etc. Although, both cameras areconservatively rated, based on user reports, so this issue may not be as great as originally suspected based on the specs.

Longer Zoom (119mm versus the G400's 101mm).

Much higher resolution LCD Display (117,000 pixels, versus the G400's 76,800 pixels).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote