Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:05 PM   #1

I think I've inadvertently destroyed a Sony InfoLithium battery (NP-FM50)in my Sony F717! I was shooting indoors (a badly lit stage show), using a StarBlitz hotshoe flash. It works well, but I shot about 75 pics, the camera battery ran out, and now will only charge to about 95 minutes rather than the usual 260 mins. Help! What have I done?

I'll have to get a new one, of course, and came across an alternative power source - an Inca battery which I've never heard of but which is quite a bit cheaper than the Sony battery. Has anyone used this brand? Any experiences/information would be much appreciated.
Danne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Administrator

Only a sony brand battery can contain the "info" chip that you depend on to give you your time remaining countdown. The last time I tried a 3rd party Li-ion battery in a Sony it worked but it didn't display the remaining runtime. Maybe some others can do that now but I think that Sony would sue them for patent violations.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:36 PM   #3

Thanks for that, Steve. I took the plunge and bought an Inca LI battery, but surprise! surprise! It does show the remaining battery time! It seems to work just as well as the Sony battery and is considerably cheaper. A good choice.
Danne is offline   Reply With Quote