Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:31 PM   #1

I have a Canon S1 IS. It uses 4 x AA 1.2V 2300mAh NIMH batteries. I was told to charge and discharge 3x to get maximum potential charge. I was also told to drain them completely once a month and recharge them to hold maximum charge. Are these statements correct?
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:39 AM   #2

Yes, although complete cell formation (resulting in full cell capacity) is gained after at least 4-5 cycles from new, 3 is a little conservative.

www.batteryuniversity.com

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:42 AM   #3

Off to Radio shack to build a device to drain the batteries faster than a flash light. I was thinking of using a1K Ohm resistor and a 3w bulb on a battery holder. Running down 12 AA 1.2V 2300mAh batteries in a flash light takes too long.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:21 AM   #4
Baz

It may be advisable to get more information before you attempt "completely" discharging these cells with1K resistor & bulbs.

A complete discharge is not advisable.It'srecommendedto discharge to about 1 volt per cell. This is difficult to achieve using bulbs & resistors without careful monoriting.

Some chargers with the discharge/conditioning option do this very well automatically. I use the Maha C204F & the Lightning pack 4000N. One can select to charge, or to discharge firstbefore they automatically start charging.

With NiMH cells,discharging isonly rarely required. Maybe for the first time, and thereafter about onceafter about 5 recharges.

As Onyx advised best capacity is achieved after several charge cycles.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:39 AM   #5

I found that out by doing more research. I will just drain the batteries in the camera under normal use. Thank you for your information. Great site.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:51 AM   #6

I called Energizer. I was talking to a person in 2 minutes. They told me the charger does 30 minute fast charge and then in trickle charge mode. So place the batteries on the charger for 24 hours the first time. The batteries get very hot in my opinion which is normal. They gave me good information. I was very impressed with their support line. I would recommend their products.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:26 AM   #7
Baz

I guess you are being helpful mckennma, but what is your recommendation based on ? Have you had experience with any other NiMH batteries and chargers.

If it is your opinion that batteries getting 'very hot' is normal, then you may have been mislead. Maybe it is normal for that charger,but it is undesirable.

Checkout the reviews here on Steve's site for NiMH batteries & chargers, where there's much information about battery chargers &temperatures. Somechargersheatthe cells more than others. I've used the Maha & Lightning Pack4000N chargers. Both are satisfactory , but the Lightning Pack causes the least battery heating.See Steve's review.

Cheers mckennma, and enjoy that Canon camera..

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:48 AM   #8

I did check out their reviews. This is an excellent site for information. I have learned alot in the last few weeks. I have had excellent success with the Energizer batteries so far. They are holding up well. I have been shooting 100 or sopictures a night and am still on the first set of batteries. The Canon batteries of similar size are rated for 500+ pictures. If I get 400+ out of the Energizers, I would be happy. If I get 500+, it was a great investment.

I want to drain them to see how well they work and get a few charges on them before the trip. The hotter temps are caused by the30 minutecharging. Once the quick charge is done it trickle charges.

I have not used other NIMH batteries. The slower the charge the cooler the battery, which makes sense.

So far, having fun with the S1 IS.

Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:36 AM   #9

Hey! I also have those Energizer 2300 and yes they have long batt life. Also try SANYO 2300 they also have long batt life!
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote