Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:30 PM   #1

For the FZ20 camera, can you buy extra batteries? I know this is probably an elementary question, but I want to be able to use one battery, and keep another on hand and charging (or maybe even 3 sets all together). Is that a reasonable thing to do? I have never used re-chargable batteries before. So, if you get a battery with the camera, where do you buy extra ones? Thank you.
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:51 AM   #2

try http://www.tigerdirect.com
kheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:47 PM   #3

I'm hoping the fz20 uses the same batteries as the fz10, that way when I get my new fz20 I can use the same batteries. I keep 3 extra at all times for the fz10. Here's my source.

http://store.yahoo.com/eagleimports/dmw-bm7.html

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:33 PM   #4

From what I have read, the FZ1, FZ3, FZ10, FZ15 and FZ20 all use the same battery. You should be able to use your old battery. You will also be able to use the DC power cord from your FZ10 to power theFZ20. The battery charger supplied with the FZ20 does not have a DC power cord, so it can't be used to directly power the camera.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 6:51 PM   #5
GWR

Further to a question I've asked on this forum, I just tried to see if a generic FZ10 battery will fit into an FZ20... and it won't. You can't quite push it all the way in, so the little clip that automatically engages and locks the proper FZ20 battery into place doesn't work with the FZ10 battery, even though the two types of batteries look physically identical. It's only amillimetre or two out, but I don't want to try and force it in case it damages the contacts inside the camera body.

EDIT - I've looked more closely at the two batteries, and the FZ20 type seems to have slightly different metal contacts. The moulded plastic ridges surrounding the contacts seem identical to the FZ10 battery, but the contacts themselves look different. Whether this is the problem or not, I don't know.

This is a bummer, since the FZ20 has only just gone on sale here in the UK and sonobody seems to be selling generic batteries for it yet. Even the official Panasonic online shop says that no spare batteries will be available to buy until 5th October,and when they do go on sale, they'll cost £57 (US$102) - so they know where they can shove *those*... :sad:

GWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:49 PM   #6

GWR wrote:
Quote:
Further to a question I've asked on this forum, I just tried to see if a generic FZ10 battery will fit into an FZ20... and it won't. You can't quite push it all the way in, so the little clip that automatically engages and locks the proper FZ20 battery into place doesn't work with the FZ10 battery, even though the two types of batteries look physically identical. It's only amillimetre or two out, but I don't want to try and force it in case it damages the contacts inside the camera body.

EDIT - I've looked more closely at the two batteries, and the FZ20 type seems to have slightly different metal contacts. The moulded plastic ridges surrounding the contacts seem identical to the FZ10 battery, but the contacts themselves look different. Whether this is the problem or not, I don't know.

I think your problem might be that you said you used a "generic" FZ10 battery. I went to Panasonic's web site and looked at the owners manuals for the following cameras: FZ1, FZ2, FZ3, FZ10, FZ15 and FZ20.

Each of them said that the battery supplied with the camera was a CGA S002A. So, if all the cameras use the same battery, the generic FZ10 battery you have must have some physical differences than the "real thing" from Panasonic. Lots of people have found other sources for batteries for their FZ10's and no one that I am aware of has had any problems with the batteries not fitting inside the camera. Perhaps Panasonic has made some changes to the battery compartment of the FZ20 which will require the use of thier own battery only. If this is the case, I would think that the aftermarket manufacturers would quickly come up with replacements to fit the FZ20.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 9:30 AM   #7
GWR

propwash wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps Panasonic has made some changes to the battery compartment of the FZ20 which will require the use of thier own battery only

I'm working on this assumption. The generic battery fits the FZ10 with no problems.

It's just a bummer because we're about to go off on holiday and we'll only have the one battery for the FZ20 :sad:
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:50 AM   #8

GWR,

I am a former FZ-10 owner and a current FZ-20 owner. The batteries are identical and I have used the original FZ-10 battery, an Eagle Imports battery, and (of course) the one that came with the FZ-20 all in my FZ-20.

I recall reading a post somewhere where a person had to "force" a generic battery into their FZ-10 once, and then it worked perfectly. Of course, you'll have to do what you're comfortable with, but I haven't had any problems interchanging them, and have another battery ordered as a spare.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 7:50 PM   #9
GWR

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
I recall reading a post somewhere where a person had to "force" a generic battery into their FZ-10 once, and then it worked perfectly
I just took a deep breath and tried forcing the generic battery in... and it works! :-)

The official battery slips in with virtually no force required, but the generic one requires a very definite push.The only downside is that the generic battery doesn't pop out immediately when you disengage the little plastic retaining clip - it needs a bit of encouragement.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old Sep 24, 2004, 8:32 PM   #10

Glad to hear it. I just got a "generic" battery from another company. Seems to work fine, especially for $15
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote