Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:33 PM   #1

I've bought a Sony super quick charger for my Ni-MH batteries (+refresher) but when I charge the batteriesthey get really really hot!
is that a bad thing?
neo_gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 5:51 PM   #2

Not a bad thing.
The quicker the charger the hotter it gets.

I have one of those 15 minute battery chargers from Rayovac and after it charges I could probably take the wrinkles out of a shirt by rolling the batteries over it. :-)
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:35 PM   #3

It can be...the hotter and faster charges might shorten the amount of times you can recharge it...that's why they say 500-1000 charges because it all depends on how you treat the batteries.

Just look at car batteries, a neighbor just had one that lasted only 4 years, while I still had the original factory battery in my last car after 14 years of use.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:35 AM   #4
Baz

Yes Neo_gfx, it is a bad thing. Have a look/search on Steves reviews on battery chargers. Sure the faster the charge the hotter the batteries get, but that is not desirable.

For the following reason quote:

These high temperatures seriously degrade cell capacity, and have a significant impact on the overall number of recharge cycles.

Lookat the several charger reviews, the Lightning Pack 4000N appears to have the lowest charge temperature. Sure it takes almost 2 hours, but does that matter? Also one can select to condition/discharge the batteries first before it automaticaly changes to charge, and when thats completed, it goes to trickle charge.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:34 AM   #5
blr

Yes, genrally the faster the charger the hotter the cells will get. Most manufacturers state that the maximum temperature on the surface of the cells should not exceed 55 degrees Celsius (don't know how much is that in F) during charging. This feels quite warm almost hot to the touch. If you cannot touch your cells this means that they are too hot. As other have said this this harms the cycle life and it can be quite significant in some cases. The cells can start losing capacity after only 40-50 cycles if coocked badly. That said there are charges that are both cool and fast. I'm using Lenmar Mach1 and it works very well. It charges high capacity 2100 mAh NiMH cells for aproximately 70 mins and the cells are just above room temperature
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:36 AM   #6
TC3

John G. wrote:
Quote:
Not a bad thing.
The quicker the charger the hotter it gets.

I have one of those 15 minute battery chargers from Rayovac and after it charges I could probably take the wrinkles out of a shirt by rolling the batteries over it. :-)
At last we can have crease free clothes on holiday :lol:
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote