Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:52 PM   #1

I can't find this info : let say we buy new NiMH batteries, how long can we keep them before the first charge and use? (ie they stay in the package)
There is only a manufacturing year on the package (Energizer)
Any ideas?:?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:28 AM   #2

I don't think I've ever seen that question answered...it's never come up. I know lithiums usually have a 10 year shelf life, but nothing about NiMHs (or lithium-ions for that matter). I guess they expect people to use rechargeables right away.

Personally though, when it comes to NiMHs I wouldn't stock up, today's high capacity are tomorrow's low capacity...I have some 1600mAhs AAs that were the higest capacity at the time, but they are a joke today compared to 2500mAh batteries!

Same goes for my AAAs...I have 600mAH that are worthless compared to the 850mAh that I can get now; the 600's sit unused now that I got higher capacity batteries.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3

Mikefellh,
Thanks, yeah, sometimes we buy them on sale, thinking it's a good deal, then end up with more batteries than our usual needs .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:22 AM   #4
blr

NiMH should have plenty of shelf live, ten years or so. Old cells may need few cycles more when you first start using them in order to reach nominal capacity but they'll be fine. As Mikefellhpointed out there is no need to store them because newer high capacity cells are released each year. Li-ion packs are a different story. They will suffer after only 2 years no matter used or stored
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:11 PM   #5

I just bought a pack of Energizer 2300mAh NiMH and was wondering the same thing. I called their technical support number (a real person answered within 5 seconds!) and asked. According to the tech guy I spoke with you should use (1st charge) their batteries within 4 years of the stamp date. But he didn't say that they would be adversely if one waited longer.
spark is offline   Reply With Quote