Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:15 AM   #1

what is th best Best energy source for Canon S1

Any hints on german internet stores that sell these
psu63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:20 AM   #2
blr

S1 operates on 4 AA cells. You have the choice to powerit witheither AA NiMH cells or two V3 lithion-ion rechergeables. In an emergency you can also use single use cells alkaline or lithium. For everyday operation I'd choose NiMH rechargeables. They are relatively cheap, robust and can be charged quite fast. Get a high capacity cells, everything equal or above 2000 mAh will work fine. IMO it's worth it to get 2 sets (this is 8 cells in total) and a fast charger. Fast chargers cost a bit more but save a great deal of time. There are plenty of posts around here regarding chargers. I use Lenmar Mach1 and love it. Others have their favourites. Generally look for a charger that will charge in 1-2 hours and will have an individual control for each cell.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:35 AM   #3

thanks,

can You recommend chargers (name and type)?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:41 AM   #4
blr

psu63 wrote:
Quote:
thanks,

can You recommend chargers (name and type)?
You are welcome.

As I wrote, I use Lenmar Mach1 and IMO it is a great charger. The best thing about it is that it charges quickly but still keeps the cells at low temperatures. Most other fast charges heat the cells to much higher temperatures. It has an internal fan that keeps the charger electronics cool. It makes very little noise but still keep this in mind if you plan to use it in the same room where someone is sleeping for instance
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:41 AM   #5

I bought the Lenmar Mach 1 Gamma SpeedCharger and it came with 4 batteries (2300 mhA) nimh batteries. There was no special mention that it is suitable fo the Canon S1 model but I trust it is - thanks again
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6
blr

psu63 wrote:
Quote:
I bought the Lenmar Mach 1 Gamma SpeedCharger and it came with 4 batteries (2300 mhA) nimh batteries. There was no special mention that it is suitable fo the Canon S1 model but I trust it is - thanks again
Your S1 will do fine with the included 2300 mAh Lenmar cells, just remember that new cells need to be cycled (charged and discharged) a few times before they reach their full capacity, so don't despair if your low battery warning comes a bit too soon on the first couple of charges, just run them until you get the low batt. sign and charge again. After this is done 3-4 times you can recharge them at any stage, i.e. they don't need to be completely discharged before charging. I would still recommend that you get a spare set (another 4 AA cells) just so you don't run out of power.