Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:45 PM   #1

Hello, i recently bought my new Canon Powershot S1 IS. The dealer gave me4 Vapextech NiMh 2300 mAh batteries for free along with a simple charger.

I never heard of that brand. As of now the batteries are performing well. On the first charge i took 400 shots without flash, 60-70 shots with flash, and could fill and empty my 32 Mb CF with movie clips for abt 7 times. All this with my LCD on and continous zoom enabled.

So i would like to know if anyone has used those batteries?If yes then how do they perform in long run? Iam going to buy an extra set of NiMh batteries. Maha is priced at abt $8 (per set) and Vapextech comes for abt $4 a set.The problem is that i can buy 2 sets of Vapextech but only one set of Maha.

So could anyone suggest which one to buy?

jhavk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:10 AM   #2
blr

Hi jhavk

I haven't seen nor used Vapextech brand cells but chances are that these are rebranded. There are many brands that buy cells from big manugacturers and rebrand them. Most of these are made by the three biggest cell manufacturers Sanyo, Panasonic or GP. If you are happy with how these Vapextech cells perform I see no reason not to buy a second set. The difference between cheap and expensive cells is usually that the more expensive ones are partially formed, i.e. they don't need that many charge-discharge cycles before reaching their full capacity. Another difference is that cheaper cells can vary in capacity a bit more than expensive ones.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:19 AM   #3

I recently picked up 16 2400mAh AA's and 16 800mAh AAA's off a reseller on ebay selling them individually for $0.99usd/battery opening bid. Thus far I have been very impressed with them and can't tell any difference between these 2400's and the Maha 2200's I bought with my charger. They charge up great taking just a shade under 5 hours to charge (MH-C204F). I have mostly been using them in a couple LED flashlights and a headlamp I own when im out and about in the mountains. With my Oly C750 they seem to last at least as long as the Maha's.

Long term im in the same boat as you but considering I paid $44usd for 32 nimh batteries shipped to me it doesn't all that matter if they don't last as long as the Maha's to me..... especially considering I paid $20cdn for a pair of 700mAh Maha AAA's and a 4pack of 2200mAh AA'srun $30cdn locally.:sad:
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 4:28 AM   #4

jhavk wrote:
Quote:
Hello, i recently bought my new Canon Powershot S1 IS. The dealer gave me 4 Vapextech NiMh 2300 mAh batteries for free along with a simple charger.

I never heard of that brand. As of now the batteries are performing well.

So i would like to know if anyone has used those batteries?
I have been using the Vapextech NiMh 2400 batteries in my cameras and have been happy with the performance of the batteries.

I purchased the batteries from a U.K. eBayer:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3829690971

On this particular page he explains some of his findings in relation to the Vapextech batteries, no doubt a search will also show other eBayers selling these batteries.

You can also visit the Vapextech website for further information on their battery range, plus you can also download PDF files which give technical details on specific NiMh batteries:-

http://www.vapextech.com/index.asp

The only thing that I have found is that the batteries are a slightly tighter fit in the charger that I use compared with other NiMh batteries that I have.

Harryo

Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote