Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

A year ago I bought a sony dsc-p32, that came with a charger and sony stamina 2100mAh cells. They used to work just fine, they used to last quite a bit. Some time ago they started to malfunction, they only last a few minutes.

I bought a couple of Panasonic 2200mAh Ni-MHs, and sometimes they refuse to charge, the sony charger led keeps blinking. And when they charge, they last as long as the sony ones.

Then I bought a couple of Panasonic 2800mAh Ni-MHs, they never refuse to charge and they last quite a bit, but not as long as the sony cells used to.

And then I bought a couple of sony cycle energy 3600mAh, they charge just fine, last longer than panasonic 2800mAh ones, but not as the sony 2100mAh stamina cells used to!

What should I do? I have to carry 4 pairs of cells with me, they are starting to xxxx me off!

What can be the problem? The charger?
fonfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:23 PM   #2

1. Buya smart charger, that allows you to discharge occasionally, as well as to 'smart' recharge using clever electronics to detect the end points. You'll find lots of recommendations for such chargers if you look back through this forum.

2. Buy a cheap Vigital Dolt Meter from Radio Shack, Tandy, Maplin, etc ., that has a *battery test facility*. This will measure the terminal voltage of a cell when a standard resistive load is applied to it. If you start with a good cell charged in a smart charger, you'll get a good idea of the benchmark voltage for a fully charged cell, so when you've finished charging all your cells, you can see whether they're OK or not.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:51 AM   #3

thanks for the advice, alan. i'll see what i can do, i dunno if i can buy the charger and voltmeter, because its hard to find here in brazil and the import taxes are expensive. thanks for the help!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:26 AM   #4
blr

fonfa wrote:
Quote:
Then I bought a couple of Panasonic 2800mAh Ni-MHs, they never refuse to charge and they last quite a bit, but not as long as the sony cells used to.

And then I bought a couple of sony cycle energy 3600mAh, they charge just fine, last longer than panasonic 2800mAh ones, but not as the sony 2100mAh stamina cells used to!

What should I do? I have to carry 4 pairs of cells with me, they are starting to xxxx me off!

What can be the problem? The charger?
2800, 3600 mAh AAs! where did you get these cells from?

The problem is most probably your charger. Try to get any microprocessor controlled charger preferrably with 4 separate charging slotsI'm sure something like this should be available in your country. Visit your local photo store and ask them about chargers.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:49 PM   #5

Here are the 2800 and 3600 cells. There's a typing error there, "alksline"

Do you think that they're counterfeit cells?
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:37 PM   #6

fonfa wrote:
Quote:
Do you think that they're counterfeit cells?
Yes.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:49 PM   #7

so there aren't cells with more than 2100 mAh?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:06 AM   #8
blr

fonfa wrote:
Quote:
Yes it definately looks like these are counterfits and as such are probably cheap cells with unknown origin and capacity. Sony uses Sanyo cells. Look at the negative (flat) electrode there shoud be a small sign reading HR engraved on otiginal Sony-branded cells. My advise is don't use these fake cells. You don't wanna risk your camera if leakage occurs for instance.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:59 AM   #9

Quite sometime ago I bought myNikon 5700 via the internet andthe seller included a set of batteries which he threw in as a gift.The first time I put them in the charger, luckily it was in the garage, one battery blew, the other batteries were so hot you couldn't hold them and the charger was destroyed. Closer inspection ofa surviving battery had this on the side - Nickle Metal Hidride. That's not how you spell it,obviously fake, so I went to a local reputable store and asked for a new charger and a set (needed 6 had to buy8 ofNi-Mh batteries. I got what I thought was a great deal. Went homeand charged the batteries - in the garage. I was told this was a slow charger (Everyready Energizer) requiring about 15 hours for a full charge.Two days later the little red lights were still on and so I knew something had to be wrong. Pulled the batteries and they had leaked all over the charger wrecking it (melted the plastic). The reason - two idiots. The salesman, who sold me 2sets of standard alkaline batteries instead of rechargeables, and me for not reading the labels.

....Sting

The above in no way represents my current state of mind. I've learned alot about batteries and chargers since then.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:21 AM   #10
Administrator

fonfa wrote:
Quote:

You'll find some 2400mAh NiMH cells listed on my battery page, these are the highest capacity cells that I've seen so far.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote